Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 69'Z28 Camaro

kelson

Hey everyone,i started this build a few weeks ago and decided to share on here,plan is factory stock with a few changes.No cowl hood or rear spoiler and no chambered exhaust since they were options and no Rally Sport option.The exhaust was borrowed from the 69'nova but will have to be modified and i'll be using the MCG set as well.IMG_0211.thumb.JPG.0bc452133e40cbc9d53ebca9da3b6e09.JPGIMG_0215.thumb.JPG.c05c65304fc9b3c80aa6a93f2d6f674f.JPGIMG_0214.thumb.JPG.4249d9df2b7b1143ca04697358681015.JPG

• Like 1

R&M of MD has that hood mislabeled--that's not an SS hood, it's a common plain-jane "flat" hood. Pretty cool, though. 

Burnished Brown is a cool color for '69 Camaros. B)

I gather that you'll be using photo-etch. I assume the parts you have include the chrome trim for the rear fender fake vents. They go with the kit's wheel opening moldings for Style Trim Group (and all Rally Sports, which include STG). 

Drive on! B)

I agree with the others on your color choice. Not often seen but looks very rich. Great job laying out the vinyl roof moldings. I noticed that you have striped the chrome on the front bumper. To my knowledge the standard bumpers were all chromed. Or maybe you were just cleaning up the bumper ? I have always thought Revell got the exhaust wrong on the Nova kit. My '72 Nova as well as my '69 Camaro only had the muffler mounted behind the differential. The two large mufflers in front of the differential were the way most after market exhaust systems were done.   

17 hours ago, bill lanfear said:

I love where your going with this! Looking great so far!

Thanks i'm excited about this build:)

16 hours ago, Snake45 said:

R&M of MD has that hood mislabeled--that's not an SS hood, it's a common plain-jane "flat" hood. Pretty cool, though. 

Burnished Brown is a cool color for '69 Camaros. B)

I gather that you'll be using photo-etch. I assume the parts you have include the chrome trim for the rear fender fake vents. They go with the kit's wheel opening moldings for Style Trim Group (and all Rally Sports, which include STG). 

Drive on! B)

Thanks Snake for the info and yes,i'll be using the MCG set,the package was mislabeled but they sent the right hood,funny thing is that this hood has been in my stash 10-15 years and I never noticed.:blink:

4 hours ago, espo said:

I agree with the others on your color choice. Not often seen but looks very rich. Great job laying out the vinyl roof moldings. I noticed that you have striped the chrome on the front bumper. To my knowledge the standard bumpers were all chromed. Or maybe you were just cleaning up the bumper ? I have always thought Revell got the exhaust wrong on the Nova kit. My '72 Nova as well as my '69 Camaro only had the muffler mounted behind the differential. The two large mufflers in front of the differential were the way most after market exhaust systems were done.   

Thanks espo,you could be right about the exhaust,i'll have to do more research,i stripped the bumper because the chrome was bad and since a body colored bumper was an option (VE3)I decided to go with that.:)

8 hours ago, espo said:

My '72 Nova as well as my '69 Camaro only had the muffler mounted behind the differential. The two large mufflers in front of the differential were the way most after market exhaust systems were done.   

Now that you mention it, my '69 SS Camaro only had that one big muffler, too. 

Very cool build, I agree the color is a great choice. Better than another orange, red or black Camaro. Does RM of MD still offer that hood and air cleaner set? I had a flat hood conversion from them years ago to change the seat upholstery, flat hood and standard 4 bbl intake and air cleaner. Good products.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:24 PM, 66belair said:

Very cool build, I agree the color is a great choice. Better than another orange, red or black Camaro. Does RM of MD still offer that hood and air cleaner set? I had a flat hood conversion from them years ago to change the seat upholstery, flat hood and standard 4 bbl intake and air cleaner. Good products.

To be honest I don't know,i bought this about 12-15 years ago,TM resins on ebay sells the hood I believe,but it doesn't include the air cleaner set.

21 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Really cool great changes, going to be watching.

Thanks Dan!!

20 hours ago, Hooked on Chaparral said:

Proceeding very nicely on this one

Thanks Chapparral!!.

IMG_0254.thumb.JPG.540180b4f5a0e79d0ef47354fe0e3227.JPGIMG_0255.thumb.JPG.3745f388cf02dcd302174dec22e9846e.JPGOkay,ive got a few small updates:some forum members aren't sure the exhaust i'm using is correct so I looked at my 67 and 68 Firebird promos and my 67'firebird kit and MPC 68' Camaro kit and they all have the same exhaust setup,maybe  the exhaust was different depending on the engine?

Edited by kelson

Okay,have gotten a little work done,not going to use the cross ram setup so I had to scrounge up a intake manifold from the part box I also had to use a different distributor,because there wasn't enough room for the coil to.The decals for the oil filter were just scraps i cut up to fit and look like the ac delco unit.IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.0efdfef8c1cb5a7f03052c3fd1c1594b.JPGIMG_0246.thumb.JPG.12f30c8cc355de5de437c1c38f8efe91.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kelson said:

Okay,have gotten a little work done,not going to use the cross ram setup so I had to scrounge up a intake manifold from the part box I also had to use a different distributor,because there wasn't enough room for the coil to.The decals for the oil filter were just scraps i cut up to fit and look like the ac delco unit.IMG_0246.thumb.JPG.12f30c8cc355de5de437c1c38f8efe91.JPG

That manifold's pretty high-rise. There's a possibility once you get a carb and air cleaner on it, you'll have trouble getting that "flat" hood to close. I had a similar problem on a Camaro build once. Not sayin' you definitely will, just something to be on the lookout for. 

Also, if you're going for a low-power plain-jane engine (307 in '69 Camaro, I believe), the intake manifold would have been red/orange to match the rest of the engine. Unless of course that's supposed to be an aftermarket day two manifold, in which case, never mind. B)

7 hours ago, Snake45 said:

That manifold's pretty high-rise. There's a possibility once you get a carb and air cleaner on it, you'll have trouble getting that "flat" hood to close. I had a similar problem on a Camaro build once. Not sayin' you definitely will, just something to be on the lookout for. 

Also, if you're going for a low-power plain-jane engine (307 in '69 Camaro, I believe), the intake manifold would have been red/orange to match the rest of the engine. Unless of course that's supposed to be an aftermarket day two manifold, in which case, never mind. B)

The manifold is from the parts box,since i'm not going to use the cross ram setup,and I actually sanded it down and test fitted it in the engine bay with the carb and aircleaner and it fit,but it was close!!.The bottom of the carb maybe need a swipe of two from a file.:)

That'll look great with the Burnished Brown exterior. Don't forget that the headliner will be black. On a '69 Camaro with "white interior, " only the seats, door panels and rear side panels are white. Everything else is black. B)