Model Cars Magazine Forum

Will they ever re-issue it? MPC Dodge truck.

10 hours ago, mikemodeler said:

Rumor has it that when they converted this kit into the monster truck kit they ruined it beyond repair.

It's probably more about finding inserts and in what state they are and what state the main tooling is in, cuz it has been run and modified from '72 up to the the early 2000s IIRC.

Then there's probably the matter of the side trim, which has been removed, at first on the cab in order to market the uteline's, and second on the bed to get more mileage out of the sweptline's, through the Thunderstruck and Monster truck releases.

But is the side trim a necessity to bring the sweptline back?

I remember a talk with a former Jr. Amt/Ertl engineer, that when they were looking into the re-release of the Li'l red truck in the '90s, they couldn't find the inserts for the side step plates, so they re-did them, once the kit was in production, they did find them, Doh!

In a perfect well organised world, where tooling goes from shelf, over to configuration, test shot, check and production, Round-2 could produce something not ever done before, a faux '79 anual Dodge Power wagon truck.

But I'm not holding my breath, so through the years I bought the kits needed to make the conversion myself

See the source image

Edited by Luc Janssens

If they were to reissue the Monster Truck, or even the ThundersTruck, I think many modelers would be happy. They could also issue the Lil Red again, it’s been awhile since we have seen that.

I don’t think too many people would be upset about the loss of the side mouldings- lots of work trucks, custom trucks, and of course, the Macho Wagons didn’t have side mouldings. 

• 5 years later...