Model Cars Magazine Forum

Upcoming Belkits...Kits

I've tried to search for a thread for any of these, and I've failed, so I assume it's not been discussed. By now the Opel Mantas have been out for a few months and Belkits has 3 more new tools in the offing. 

First up and the furthest along is a pair of 2017 Ford Focus WRC kits.

37243149_1843596962354620_5254990510694596608_o.thumb.jpg.1f6af7f3e21982e268006591d76e4a91.jpg

They're at production shot test assembly phase, along with creating the instructions.

37293318_1844799462234370_2355086870846636032_o.thumb.jpg.1c2e06df5538bf3fdf528275ffcd903e.jpg

Then we have the rest, for which information is just the drivers and/or rallies to be represented. You'll notice in this graphic there are two MORE tools (2 kits each) that are in the works as well, but licensing is pending. There's also Belkits 014 which is more than likely a modified reissue of an existing recent kit that is "pending licensing".

37831485_1856812197699763_8639620461602275328_o.thumb.jpg.8ec546926d423e8a7aeb163f73236a58.jpg

The 2018 C3s will be the Mexico Rally return of Sébastien Loeb with Daniel Elena. The other will be the pairing of Kris Meeke / Paul Nagle.

The Group B ALL THE THINGS release of the Austin-Rover Metro 6R4 will be for -

Jimmy McRae - Ian Dundrod
Lombard RAC Rally 1986

Malcolm Wilson / Nigel Harris
Rallye Monte-Carlo 1986

If you have no idea what a 6R4 is, Rover built it specifically to compete in the then popular and ultimately short lived Group B class, it vaguely resembles the Metro compact car of the time, but was purpose built. received_10156497839405699.jpeg.b0c0666fbb2382292199129f6e384272.jpeg

Edited by niteowl7710

• 4 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Luc Janssens said:

On the box-art prop it says, highly detailed engine

Yeah I already mentioned that in the original post.  I was just showing the engine - since I can't imagine the base here has by and large has seen the engine "bay" of a 6R4 - and commenting that it has to be full detail, because how would your curbside that.  It would be a terrible molded in block of cheese.

43 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeah I already mentioned that in the original post.  I was just showing the engine - since I can't imagine the base here has by and large has seen the engine "bay" of a 6R4 - and commenting that it has to be full detail, because how would your curbside that.  It would be a terrible molded in block of cheese.

Oop's, my bad :D

36 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

Yeeeaaah...that's a little odd. 

Maybe Beemax, Belkits and Nunu are one and the same manufacturer and production facility.

I remember that a rep from Belkits once said to me, that their vendor in the past also designed  some rally kits for Hasegawa

22 minutes ago, Michael jones said:

Aoshima makes the Beemax kits. Not sure about the others.

Aoshima provides technical assistance (much more hands on years ago when they started, especially with the McLaren MP4/4) and distributes Beemax kits, but Beemax does their tooling and kits in Macau unrelated to Aoshima's own production. Aoshima also distributes Belkits in Japan/Asia (and re-labels to put their logo over a bunch of the Belkits stuff).

1 hour ago, Luc Janssens said:

Maybe Beemax, Belkits and Nunu are one and the same manufacturer and production facility.

NuNu is owned by the same Company that owns Beemax. Which is why the M6s say "BMW Licensing Beemax Macau, Ltd" on them. They wanted a layer of corporation between the company doing contract work for Platz considering Beemax's parternership with Aoshima.

I love the 6R4. I was lucky enough to drive one once in a Rallycross event at Buxtehude (finished 3rd).
The sound alone is something you'll never forget (youtube it!) and the acceleration is like someone just rear ended you doing 50.
It's one of those cars that make you cancel all your self preservation instinct.

I only hope they'll do the Tony Pond - 1985 Lombard RAC version, when he finished 3rd (see what I'm doing here?), ironically behind two Delta S4s.
Sadly this was the best result the car ever had in a WRC event. At least I hope someone will make that decal sheet.

So I'm going to buy both - the Belkits and the Beemax. One to build the above, one to build the car I raced at Buxtehude.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching some WRC Sweden footage, am tempted to get a Fiesta kit!  I'm always amazed how balls-to-the-wall they are in Europe, and I'm including the spectators.

I also came *this close* to confusing with Beemax brand, but looked at Spot Model first before posting.
http://www.spotmodel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=170

3 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm always amazed how balls-to-the-wall they are in Europe, and I'm including the spectators.

Those spectators sadly are all too often a bit too included. Or better, they often include themselves a bit too much.
Crown control has been a huge problem in Rally sport from its inception.

I deliberately selected a vid where nobody got seriously hurt.
There are others out there.

10 hours ago, Junkman said:

Those spectators sadly are all too often a bit too included. Or better, they often include themselves a bit too much.

We lost a photographer with 45 years experience down here on Saturday after being collected by a rally car.

I've been spectating and photographing for 40 years and the blasé attitude many punters show to the dangers never ceases to amaze me

17 hours ago, Junkman said:

[...]

I deliberately selected a vid where nobody got seriously hurt.
There are others out there.

That's one reason Group B was eliminated. :(  If anyone wants to see pure stupidity, check out Arabia drift videos.

I've worked rallies in Arizona.  They restrict who gets on stage, and they make sure everyone stays back.  I need to get a telephoto lens before attending more.