Model Cars Magazine Forum

Holmes 750 wrecker plans or instructions

I'll be following this thread.  I asked Auslowe if they would consider making one, even if was only the superstructure/booms/winches.  I think the body/deck is easy enough to fab and there are lots of different looks to the body.

I have the 1/25 First Gear Holmes body that I'm either going to use as a pattern or modify for my next project. 

I know there's quite a few classic wrecker groups on facebook, and a few Holmes-specific ones at that. Unless you want to fork over the dough for a manual, maybe asking one of those groups could help you, at least with the 1:1 reference side of things.

Edited by Dieselhead

I can send you a good copy of the Phil Jensen article if you like. The First Gear diecast Holmes is very nice. hard to find now I bet. KFS out of England made a Resin kit of the Holmes 750 both the body and the wrecker parts. PM me I'll try to help you out.

4 minutes ago, Bowtienutz said:

I can send you a good copy of the Phil Jensen article if you like. The First Gear diecast Holmes is very nice. hard to find now I bet. KFS out of England made a Resin kit of the Holmes 750 both the body and the wrecker parts. PM me I'll try to help you out.

I got the part about the boom/winch setup from Jarda. If you have the part about the body mods, I could use that too.

6 minutes ago, Repstock said:

I made a Holmes 500 rig. Depending on the age of the Holmes 750 you wish to make, perhaps the pics in this thread could be of some help.

They sure will. What did you use as a plan?

3 hours ago, landman said:

They sure will. What did you use as a plan?

I just amassed a large file of info by searching online. I always assume what I need is out there, it's just a matter of how hard i search.

Sadly, I've gotten no further on that project since then. Worse, the computer on which I had the file died, and took everything with it. All I can offer you are the pics.

Usually a Holmes 500 would be mounted on a medium duty truck, but there are plenty of pics of them installed on a heavy duty pickup chassis, as I intend to do.

I look forward to watching your project come together!

Repstock, on your computer that died, was it the motherboard, chip, or the drive? If you want to try to get the info off the drive send me a message and I might be able to help. Got the tools and have done it several times. Worth a try. About the only way you can't get the info is if the drive itself went bad.

Call me lazy, but I really don't have the time to scratch build a wrecker bed and rigging, but would gladly pay for a resin cast one. Either a Holmes 500 or 750 would be great to have and my first thought for a 500 wrecker would be to use the International cab that Charles Rowley mastered!

I have a nice resin cast Holmes 440 wrecker bed that will be going behind either a Moebius 70's Ford or a Revell 78 GMC converted to 2WD, sure would love to have a 500 to go with it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 1:02 AM, socal76 said:

Repstock, on your computer that died, was it the motherboard, chip, or the drive? If you want to try to get the info off the drive send me a message and I might be able to help. Got the tools and have done it several times. Worth a try. About the only way you can't get the info is if the drive itself went bad.

The computer is running again, but everything on it is gone I'm told. I need this computer mostly for the AutoCad and compatibility with my ALPS printers, so I can draw and print decals when needed.

Phil also mentioned where to get the gears to make the cable functional. I have a set but I am not sure they are exactly the same since I bought these about three years ago, not thirty like the article! Article did not mention the size of each gear, but there are probably more than one combination by now. But you cannot ever deny the talent of Phil.  Sad to think we cannot see more of his work from now on.

Steven