Model Cars Magazine Forum

If You Could Only Have One?

For me, it would be a tossup between Jo-Han's Cadillac V-16 and Mercedes-Benz 500K. 

131016924_new-1960s-vintage-jo-han-1931-

s-l640.jpg

Beautiful subject matter, and the detail is exquisite.  Not just a matter of parts count, but they've taken pains to ensure all the parts look right.  They also go together surprisingly well for kits of this age.  Still among the best model car kits ever made.

However, if I could only pick one, I would go with the Cadillac for the wide range of trim variations and body types the prototype came in.

Call me crazy, but it would be the mpc General Lee. I know the kit is an absolute dumpster fire in every way, shape and form, but I honestly enjoyed the frustration of it all. In the end, I’m more proud of the result I got out of that build than any other kit to date. And besides, can a person ever really get tired of looking at second generation Chargers?

Edited by BeakDoc

First of all, I would quit building.

For me there is absolutely no joy in building the same kit over & over again.

If there was only 1 kit left in existence & I had to build a few of them before I quit, it would be either the old AMT '58 Impala, '56 Ford Victoria or '57 Ford Fairlane.

Mostly because of subject matter, & they're just great old kits.

Steve

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

1 hour ago, Richard Bartrop said:

131016924_new-1960s-vintage-jo-han-1931-

However, if I could only pick one, I would go with the Cadillac for the wide range of trim variations and body types the prototype came in.

THAT is an excellent choice!

V-16 Cadillacs - beautiful automobiles and master pieces of engineering. That Sport Phaeton - a well-to-do family man's summer Sunday Driver. Gimme the keys for one whole day. Heaven on earth!

53 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

First of all, I would quit building.

For me there is absolutely no joy in building the same kit over & over again...

I agree.

And in my case, combining multiple kit parts into something new is my primary interest.

"One" kit just wouldn't get it.

1 minute ago, jaxenro said:

Interesting. I wasn’t so much thinking of building the same one over and over but if you only had one left to build. 

That makes a difference.  I went with the Cadillac because I could build several variations.  I might get bored eventually, but it would take a while.

If it was one, and one only, it would be the Mercedes, because I haven't built one of those in a while.

55 minutes ago, jaxenro said:

Interesting. I wasn’t so much thinking of building the same one over and over but if you only had one left to build. 

That changes things entirely.

That being the case, it would probably be one of my old annuals.

I guess that if I had to give them all up right now except for one, I would save & build the MPC 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix kit.

Only because I own a 1:1.

Steve

Probably AMT Double Dragster or Monogram Slingster kit. So many different ways to build these kits. The double dragster isn't the most detailed kit, but you can build 2 complete cars many different ways. The slingster kit only builds one rail, but the detail is much better and you still have lots of choices. Glad I stocked up on a few of each of these. I think I'll put down the SUV's for a while and crack one open. Hmmm, got me thinking,  lol.

Jeff

10 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

That changes things entirely.

That being the case, it would probably be one of my old annuals.

I guess that if I had to give them all up right now except for one, I would save & build the MPC 1969 Pontiac Grand Prix kit.

Only because I own a 1:1.

Steve

Good choice Steve..!   And while there are some I could build tons of over and over and never get tired of and I have a list of them..LOL..   It would be very hard for me to chose only one but it would be between these...

69,70 Grand Prix..we had these in our family

68,69 Bonneville..we had these in our family

Monograms Un-Real Roller...think this was my first ever kit I built..have fond memories of it and had it still till we had our tornado here in 2011 it just disappeared along with many others.

66 Chrysler 300 HT..we had one in the family once

16 hours ago, jaxenro said:

Tough call. I dont think I can do it honestly. Because once it was done I would be bored chitless.

But

If only one. I think it would have to be either the Johan 1969 GTX or Johan 1970 Roadrunner. ( used to own the 1/1 cars and have the kits I need to replicate my old cars )

If I had to build the exact same kit over and over.

It would come down to the Revell Thunderbolt or Lindberg 64 Dodge ( maybe the 64 Plymouth variant)  Determining factor would be aftermarket support for different decals.

Ive got a pretty good start on these, Have 6 T bolts done and I think 5 or 6 Lindberg Mopar kits . Plus several unbelts of each stashed away

Edited by gtx6970

Mine would have to be this one..... My first model build when I moved here to the States back in '71.... It was a glue bomb, but I was happy with it....:rolleyes:

I'm glad MPC re-released the kit again with the same box art and iron on transfer.... :wub:

Can't wait to get started on the new kit....B)

s-l225.jpg

Edited by Deuces

Put me down for one of these, lots of parts, lots of possibilities all in the same kit. It also has a nice touch of nostalgia, the AMT Double Dragster Kit would  be a hard second, the Tin version has enough to build three kits with a little finecing with some sprue. :D

monogram-blue-bandito-1929-ford-pickup-street-rod-23.jpg

Monogram_BlueBeetle[03].JPG

amt-627-double-dragster-kit-3in1_1_1254838e1bfa51dca7751abccbbe032f.jpg

Edited by Greg Myers