Model Cars Magazine Forum

Johan 31 Cadillac V16 Roadster

OldTrucker

52 minutes ago, Bainford said:

Gorgeous old Caddy. There is something about the phrase "V-16 roadster" that gets the heart pumping.

Though the kit isn't actually of a "roadster".   The original is actually a "cabriolet", or "Convertible coupe", as it has windows instead of side curtain.

Cadillac did make a roadster version, and as you can see, there are some differences.

2-1024x553.jpg

"V-16 convertible" still sounds pretty sweet to me.

1 hour ago, OldTrucker said:

When I was driving OTR I had a three day layover in Salk Lake City so went to a car show there to kill some time.

That was where I saw one of these in person for the first (and last) time. Things were winding down for the evening and I stopped and talked to the owner who out of the blue said to hop in and lets take her for a spin! I was elated to say the least!

Here was this guy who knew me from Adam and asks me to take a ride in a to me priceless car! A few miles out he stopped to run in and get a pack of smokes and when we come out he offers to let me take it for a spin!

I declined. As much as I would have loved to have driven that car I did not want to take the chance that something would happen with me behind the wheel!:lol:

They are beautiful designed cars and just the feel of the engine in front of you is like a dream and I still can only imagine what the feel of the throttle would have been like under my foot!

By the way, he didn't baby that car either! He drove it like I believe the creator intended him to!B)

Great story, thanks for that. That would have been a thrilling ride. It's interesting how some people are super protective of their classic or vintage cars, and yet others drive them like they were meant to be, and also appreciate just what the experience of offering a ride to an enthusiastic stranger really means to them. He sounds like my kind of car guy. I have a Lotus Europa, which is no V-16 Caddy (pretty much the opposite, actually) but to some sports car enthusiasts is a very exciting and uncommon sight. On numerous occasions I have offered rides to strangers who are particularly excited to see the car, which they always really appreciate. Also, at car shows I often let kids touch it and sit in it. There are no "Do Not Touch" signs on my car.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your story.

7 hours ago, Richard Bartrop said:

Though the kit isn't actually of a "roadster".   The original is actually a "cabriolet", or "Convertible coupe", as it has windows instead of side curtain.

Cadillac did make a roadster version, and as you can see, there are some differences.

2-1024x553.jpg

"V-16 convertible" still sounds pretty sweet to me.

I did know the right term but couldn't remember how to spews cabriolet and with my 8 year old granddaughter standing behind me saying "are we going yet?" I didn't  bother to look it up and put roadster! LOL

Very clean, perfect, understated colors. Classy.  :D

Eons ago, I had a client with a '31 355A V8 roadster that I maintained, repaired as necessary, and occasionally exercised. It was an older "driver" quality restoration, with a yellow body with an orange pinstripe and brown fenders. Much fun.

20 minutes ago, OldTrucker said:

I did know the right term but couldn't remember how to spews cabriolet and with my 8 year old granddaughter standing behind me saying "are we going yet?" I didn't  bother to look it up and put roadster! LOL

Sounds like a good excuse to me :D

If you aren't already familiar with the Cadillac Database, it's a fantastic resource if you're building a V-16.   The have photos of nearly every surviving Cadillac V-16 known to man, and there's plenty of inspirational material https://www.newcadillacdatabase.org/static/CDB/Dbas_txt/V6srv30.htm

I have the Town Brougham kit (sorry, I'm keeping that one)  and it does include a pair of pieces for the running boards that would be very useful for anyone contemplating the coach still style bodies of the phaeton and cabriolet into a standard model.

On 7/26/2018 at 4:55 PM, OldTrucker said:

Built this a long time back but just love these cars!

Still want to build the other 2 if I can find them reasonably priced!

photo4-vi.jpg
photo21-vi.jpg
photo25-vi.jpg
photo69-vi.jpg

The entire run of JoHan Gold Trophy series of kits are works of art worthy to be replicas of the original 1:1 . You did justice on this beauty . Seems like the end was not near while building it . Yes , you need the other 2 . Then Town Car is sided with wicker around the Passenger compartment . Than you  for sharing this gem . Thanx .. 

On 7/28/2018 at 7:07 AM, dimaxion said:

The entire run of JoHan Gold Trophy series of kits are works of art worthy to be replicas of the original 1:1 . You did justice on this beauty . Seems like the end was not near while building it . Yes , you need the other 2 . Then Town Car is sided with wicker around the Passenger compartment . Than you  for sharing this gem . Thanx .. 

I now have the other 2!

I just received in the mail the Sport Phaeton as a gift from another member here (gramps46) and the wife found the Town Brougham for 28 and change delivered that should be here Friday!B)