Model Cars Magazine Forum

The NHRA is not a fan of Street Outlaws.

NYLIBUD

So I heard,then read that the NHRA does not want any kind of street racing going on..Apparently,it's been said that they may revoke,or not re-new drivers drag racing licenses who appear on Street Outlaws,or are involved in any type of street racing.It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

IMG_3778.JPG

That has been going on for a while now. It was at least last year when the NHRA announced they wouldn't issue or renew licenses of drivers that competed in any of the street racing affairs. I can understand exactly where they're coming from. The whole idea of the NHRA is to provide an organized, legal form of competition to keep racing off the streets. They just almost had no choice EXCEPT taking the action they did.

Now, that's not to say that I didn't do my share of street racing back in the day. Nor am I condemming anyone that finds a good opportunity to "line 'em up". Just saying I can understand the NHRA's position.

And yes, it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Like them or not, Street Outlaws have a following.

14 hours ago, smhardesty said:

That has been going on for a while now. It was at least last year when the NHRA announced they wouldn't issue or renew licenses of drivers that competed in any of the street racing affairs. I can understand exactly where they're coming from. The whole idea of the NHRA is to provide an organized, legal form of competition to keep racing off the streets. They just almost had no choice EXCEPT taking the action they did.

Now, that's not to say that I didn't do my share of street racing back in the day. Nor am I condemming anyone that finds a good opportunity to "line 'em up". Just saying I can understand the NHRA's position.

And yes, it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Like them or not, Street Outlaws have a following.

X2

On 7/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, SSNJim said:

Obviously, Street Outlaw cars may not be posted in Drag Racing Models anymore.

Don't think so. The subtitle/"definition" for this section is: If it goes in a straight line, post it here!

If only NHRA cars are allowed, no more lakes racers, Bonneville, LSR cars, etc here either, then. 

And I guess no early Funny Cars/match racers, since they weren't built to NHRA rules. :blink:

On 2018-07-28 at 1:08 AM, smhardesty said:

X3

If a licensed drag racer here in Sweden gets cought in illegal street racing he looses his drag racing license, so it's pretty much the same over here.

Edited by Force

8 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Don't think so. The subtitle/"definition" for this section is: If it goes in a straight line, post it here!

If only NHRA cars are allowed, no more lakes racers, Bonneville, LSR cars, etc here either, then. 

And I guess no early Funny Cars/match racers, since they weren't built to NHRA rules. :blink:

That was supposed to be a sarcastic response to the previous comment, not a real suggestion. 

2 hours ago, SSNJim said:

That was supposed to be a sarcastic response to the previous comment, not a real suggestion. 

I know. I speak fluent sarcasm. I was just playin' along. B)

BTW, couple weeks ago I saw an episode--not sure if it was a new show or an old rerun--where Monza's '70 Camaro not only went in a straight line, it did several barrel rolls, too! :blink: Luckily no one got hurt except Monza's wallet. 

Edited by Snake45

If television could just figure some way to fill the time between the Pro turn -arounds I believe NHRA drag-racing could possibly overshadow NASCAR.  Of course if the TV people were to also include some of the Sportsman races as filler, I believe their ratings for drag-racing would sky-rocket.  Occasionally they will throw in some SS, Super Comp, Super Gas, and Factory Stock races.  But if they were to schedule a four-hour block the way they do for NASCAR, do away with some of the talking heads filler between Pro runs, and replace it with lower class racing it would sell to advertisers.  Just my opinion, and yes, I know about opinions.

On 7/27/2018 at 3:13 PM, NYLIBUD said:

So I heard,then read that the NHRA does not want any kind of street racing going on..Apparently,it's been said that they may revoke,or not re-new drivers drag racing licenses who appear on Street Outlaws,or are involved in any type of street racing.It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Well if those Street Outlaw knuckleheads were actual street racers and not a made for TV boredom-fest, I'd see where there would be an issue. But since they aren't, it's not.

Speaking of the Street Outlaws, every time I watch them, I wonder why they don't invest in a Christmas Tree system instead of sticking with their throwback flashlight or arm-drop starts. That would do away with all the controversy about who "jumped" and the occasional ensuing fights. Or do you suppose they want the conflict? 

I went to a No Prep Kings event in Topeka where most of the Street Outlaws participated, including Monza (after the wreck?).  I found it to be very entertaining, rooting for your favorite no-prep racer (I like Birdman) and listening to them going on and off the throttle to get down the track.  The bad thing was the down time between rounds, not enough small tire and daily drivers to keep the racing going without long intermissions.  Gives to time to buy a few of the thousands of T-shirts available!!

Very old news.  They have this worked out, and Street Outlaws now films their No Prep Kings series at a lot of NHRA tracks.  They even went as far as having NHRA tech set up, and issuing Advanced ET licenses to all the drivers. 

NHRA needs Street Outlaws more than Street Outlaws needs NHRA.