Model Cars Magazine Forum

Grand Superfly/Sweathogs Grand Prix

pack rat

Posting pics of an MPC oldie you don't see built up too often (there's probably a reason for that).

I picked it up as an old built-up in a collection years ago.   I finally decided to do a quickie resto on it just for fun a few weeks ago (you need a sense of humor to work on this thing). 

Mostly box-stock except for '65 Riviera wires and an over-the-top hood ornament from a Monogram '39 Chev.  Paint is Testors Electric Pink (what else?).  

I don't know what MPC was thinking....I guess they were really reaching to get more mileage out of that Grand Prix tooling.       

z1.JPG

z2.JPG

z3.JPG

z4.JPG

z5.JPG

Nice work and save...!  Funny thing is I have a special place in my heart for this kit I built one as a kid love to find another one someday.  Even at that its too bad they ruined the tooling to make this one so we cant get a factory stock version of it again sadly.   if anyone had a kit of it and not real interested in it maybe we can talk..???

Nice work! Did you consider filling in the rear window and have a heart-shaped opening? Just kidding.

Oddly enough, I'm working on a factory stock '71 Gran Prix right now; I bought one of these new in '71, and I'm trying to recreate that car in miniature.

I'm missing the frame/running gear (I have the wheels/tires), but everything else is there. Any suggestions regarding the frame?

I think I'll pass on the flashy antennae, the 1:1 had the antenna built into the windshield.

9 hours ago, Atmobil said:

oooh, a pimpmobile!!!:D
Very nice one, all you need now is a figurine next to it with a big hat and even bigger flares.
Maybe it should be on a base with a built in speaker playing this aswell:

How about this guy from "I'm Gonna Git You Sucka". You would need to source the platform shoes with the goldfish swimming in the heels.

image.png.68fc2f4451b1573e894a12cf01a4e1d1.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2018 at 7:24 PM, pack rat said:

I don't know what MPC was thinking....I guess they were really reaching to get more mileage out of that Grand Prix tooling.       

z1.JPG

Probably true.

I wrote to Round 2 asking to reissue this gem. I found a badly built one that I'm converting to a Hurst. That half vinyl top and moon roof are perfect for it. I cast the front area from a stock version and the rest of the kit is still "stockable".

5b6af0902250e_SSJ7213.jpg.03f52e416b1a46ac3bc7a051e548d13d.jpg

I remember seeing the Sweathogs version in the hobby store when I was a kid, I've been trying to find an affordable one ever since. One of my grails.

I love this Grand Prix kit!

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2018 at 1:54 PM, alexis said:

Wow! What a great save of a sadly overlooked kit. I too, wish Round2 would dig this kit back up. 

Ditto, would be a great "one and done" re-release and return it to a stock '71/'72. Had the Superfly version and holds some nostalgia for me despite the goofy customizing. I remember watching the blaxploitation films of the early 70's and the cars the villains drove in Bond's Live and Let Die, this car certainly captures the look!

Edited by Phirewriter