Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT '55 Corvette (BM/SP)

Flatout

3 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

Very sweet Vette.  That color fits it to a "T", makes it look fast just sitting there.  Also like the small flairs over the slicks.  Is the windshield frame kit chrome or did you redo it?

Rick...both the windshield frame and the roll bar were redone with Aclad Chrome. Both had flash and mold lines plus I removed the molded in windshield wipers from the windshield frame.

Thanks to all for taking the time to look and comment...

Great job Pete!

Question, your Acrylic Enamel Clear, does it say Gloss on the back?  I got some that just says Crystal Clear on the back where the bar code is and it wasn't very glossy.  I found another can that looked the same but said Crystal Clear Gloss but haven't tried it yet.

1 hour ago, jchrisf said:

Great job Pete!

Question, your Acrylic Enamel Clear, does it say Gloss on the back?  I got some that just says Crystal Clear on the back where the bar code is and it wasn't very glossy.  I found another can that looked the same but said Crystal Clear Gloss but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks Chris...my cans all just say "Crystal Clear".  In my experience this has paint been very sensitive to humidity, anything above 65-70% and it goes on milky and dries less glossy.  It looks like you're in Florida so that could be an issue.

Also...Thanks Mike and Pat!

Edited by Flatout

14 minutes ago, Flatout said:

Thanks Chris...my cans all just say "Crystal Clear".  In my experience this has paint been very sensitive to humidity, anything above 65-70% and it goes on milky and dries less glossy.  It looks like you're in Florida so that could be an issue.

Yep.. mine looked like milky clear the last time I used it but the first time it just looked satin but it could have been the humidity too. I am curious to see if the Gloss one is any different but I'll be A/Cing the garage before I attempt again.

1 hour ago, Flatout said:

Also...Thanks Mike and Pat!

I've had the same experience with that. Krylon Crystal Clear, right? It also seems to take a LOT of coats to build up enough of a finish to polish out. By a lot, I mean 8-10-12 or so. 

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I've had the same experience with that. Krylon Crystal Clear, right? It also seems to take a LOT of coats to build up enough of a finish to polish out. By a lot, I mean 8-10-12 or so. 

Snake...the Clear we were referring to is Duplicolor Acrylic Enamel, it just happens to also be called "Crystal Clear".  The Duplicolor has no issues with coverage, the Vette only took 3 wet coats to achieve a nice shine.