Model Cars Magazine Forum

ACME Club "Back to the 80's" challenge

disconovaman

On 7/29/2018 at 8:18 AM, espo said:

Some great looking builds. I like the graphics on the orange Nova but it looks more '70's than '80's. The Pro Street movement was alive and well.

Nah, I was there. The 80s was all about Pastel, Monochromatic paint jobs with swoosh wave inspired graphics. Cars back then looked like decorated Easter eggs with big fat tires a huge blowers!

The Nova and VW are "Totally 80s - to the max, fer sure!"

On 7/31/2018 at 5:09 PM, Oldcarfan27 said:

Nah, I was there. The 80s was all about Pastel, Monochromatic paint jobs with swoosh wave inspired graphics. Cars back then looked like decorated Easter eggs with big fat tires a huge blowers!

The Nova and VW are "Totally 80s - to the max, fer sure!"

X2. I was just out of high school and those were the paint jobs that got me totally jazzed about paint and body. High impact and seemed so do-able.

Glad to see Centerlines on the table. That speaks '80s to me.

Edited by Lunajammer

Thanks guys for the nice feedback... I read alot of Hot Rod, Super Chevy, Mini truckin, and Car Craft magazines between the Late 80's and earily 90's. That's how I determined what I was gonna build.

The Superbee and the Comet were both built in the 80's... The Camaro is the style that could be seen around my town in the 80's In fact, this is a replica of a guy from my town. Henry had a 70 camaro with weld wheels and gold Moroso valve covers.. the model was built in 98.

It was a fair turnout but I wish some club members would've embraced the 80's essence more. Some of those guys aren't gonna "waste" a good model for one club challenge... they're just not gonna paint their model hot pink, lime green, or Florescent yellow. It kinda fell flat but oh well, next month's challenge is "Other Scale"(any scale other than 1/24 1/25) I'll be back here to report the results, for I am the only member in my club that is on this forum...