Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you do with your built kits?

Display, store, sell...what do you all do with your built kits? I know there are some that I will display, but the wife and I agree that it'd be best to just display them in my office. Haven't decided what I will do with the ones that I don't want to display.

I do understand why scale model car builders display their built kits on glass shelves, or in cabinets with glass fronted doors or possibly in individual perspex cases, but my feeling is this..... all my built kits, and also the diecasts, are displayed within a diorama setting. I believe this to be important because that way you are viewing the cars in an environment that looks real, and if the builder of both the cars and the diorama has got it right, the whole scene appears much more interesting than rows of built models on glass shelves. When you move on to the photography aspect of our hobby the diorama setting, for me, is absolutely essential in order to create the illusion of reality.

David

For me being only one and a half years in this hobby some of the kits are displayed in the living room but none of them are car/truck kits.

My master plan for the cars /trucks is a diorama including a gas station and a replica of a drive-in restaurant that was a cruising hangout for  us in the early  70s called Frischs Big boy.

615ea8_e9f088880b764ba7a480eb9fe6e3a8c6~mv2.webp

I have a curio cabinet in my hobby room. The light inside is tripped by a motion sensor that stays lit for about ten minutes. 
These cabinets were designed to hold china. I bought more glass shelves and brackets to double the shelving.

20180729_203426.jpg

20180729_203404.jpg

Edited by Jon Cole

I have a glassed door cabinet built on the wall in the corner where 2 walls meet although there's nothing in there yet but a bunch of antique dolls.I also build for other people and give some models away.I'm a firm believer in making other people happy.I'll have it filled one day-and i build every day. !!!

Where to begin...?  I have a couple hundred in display cases.  Right now they are at the storage space.   At my ex house, I had them on shelves in my "race track room" where the slot layout was.   New wife, new house.   Had to put in storage for a while.   BUT.... we have shelves around top of living room, so there are a LOT of cars displayed up there in their display boxes (diecasts)  and display cases (plastics).   I have 40 or so 1/64s in a wall shelf my coworker gave me.  Around 9 in the glass cabinet part of entertainment center.   A few on the end tables.   Total in Living room is always around 200 cars on display.   In the family room, we have 14 on the coffee table - diecast 1/24s - Franklin and Danbury Mint.   Another wall case for 1/64s.   6? on the little table that holds the Xbox console.  And here's the weird one.   We have a microwave on the cabinet in the family room (used to be a second kitchen.   My wife loves Paris.   So on the wall beside this area is a Paris Grand Prix print.  On the Microwave is a small 3 bottle wine rack and an Eiffel tower statue (model?).  Well, my wife took three of the fancy Franklin Mint cars - 1903? Rolls, 1910 Cadillac, and 1936 Mercedes, and arranged them with the wine rack and Eiffel tower on top of the microwave.   She's a good un.  She has many models she has claimed as "hers".  She really gets into it sometimes. 

I am trying to sell off the 1/18 in boxes because they take up quite a bit of space and the detailing is so so at best on what I have.  I am selling NASCAR built ups. - There's a guy in TN that buys them to put on hardbody slot car chassis.  So I am working toward being able to display my builtups and such more predominantly in the LIving room.   Oh I have several on my dresser in my room as well.   I have them in 2 of th bathrooms - the hall bath is the "flame room" - yeah make the joke - two flamed 1/18 on top of a wall cabinet and 7 or 8 1/64s on the little shelf under it.  

IN the family room bath, a little shelf that holds "British" cars - 1/64 English cars Minis mostly and a 1/43 new Mini - only British by heritage - but it works with the theme.  So we display cars in most every room of the house.  Wife has her things displayed as well.  The coffee (car?) table has her stuff in the middle and cars are parked all the way around.  We have coasters on end tables for drinks, so coffee table is a display for trinketry.  

I have cars in my office as well.

Edited by randyc

Mine are in Carney Plastics cases.  I have 4 and each holds 24 builds.  Also have a revolving display case from some going out of business department store that also holds 24 builds.  None of them are full because I trade builds for kits and/or sell them.

Sadly, mine go straight back into the boxes and put away. Until I have a proper display case and location, they are too precious to get filthy sitting out. I show them from time to time I want them clean and protected. Besides, nobody who visits my house would care enough to notice them.

I display the ones that I really like.  Mostly in display cases, but, after the move, some dioramas as well.  Others I give away to people I know who like the model and really want to display it themselves.  A few have been damaged in the last two moves and have yet to get to the repair "station".

On 7/29/2018 at 6:48 PM, kelson said:

I put mine in display cases,i would luv to put them in a diorama,but I don't have the room.

Same here

I have 2 cases. Both about 4 foot wide, one is almost 5 ft tall, the other is right at 4 ft tall . Both have glass fronts . Both are packed full. Need to get another one. but that will have to wait till we get the house built and I get a dedicated room for them all

Edited by gtx6970