Model Cars Magazine Forum

'65 Plymouth A990 questions

I have started to work on the Moebius California Flash Belvedere, and I have been looking for information on how to make it more accurate. I know the dashboard needs to be modified, and the battery tray and washer bottle location need to be filled, but are there other mods which should be done? I also plan to build it as a Sox and Martin car, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of pics of the S/S version. Does anybody have any info they could share? Thanks!

Here is the only picture I have found on their 65 Belvedere Super Stocker, all other pictures I have found of S&M 65 Plymouth's are of the altered wheelbase cars and it looks like they had two of them, one hard top and one sedan.
So they can't have used it in the Super Stock configuration for very long.

65Belvedere.jpg.450309170b98b797eb299d20627413e8.jpg

Edited by Force

I've seen a few other pics of the SS car, but not many.

Paper Tiger I was the 2 door hardtop car , this sedan became Paper Tiger II and is the one that still exists today

Paper Tiger I is believed to have been junked many many years ago. At least that is was I was told many several years ago

• 2 weeks later...

I found one other b/w picture of the car, in the Super Stock book by Larry Davis. It's a front 3/4 shot of the car at the '65 NHRA Spring nationals. No additional info on the markings, but it does show the car ran a single windshield wiper, and doesn't seem to have a dash mounted tach.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, 64Comet404 said:

I have started to work on the Moebius California Flash Belvedere, and I have been looking for information on how to make it more accurate. I know the dashboard needs to be modified, and the battery tray and washer bottle location need to be filled, but are there other mods which should be done? I also plan to build it as a Sox and Martin car, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of pics of the S/S version. Does anybody have any info they could share? Thanks!

Ken....there should be an article in the other model car magazine next issue, debuting in the next few weeks, which shows some of these very mods to the kit........TIM 

Some of the features of the A990 cars are: single exhaust with large  muffler behind the rear bumper, factory headers, no passenger wiper arm. Interior should be heater as well as radio delete no rear seat, no arm rests, passenger sun visor missing, coat hooks, dome light, no rear window regulators or crank arms, front seats are Bostrom buckets mounted on aluminum brackets. 4 speeds used the Dana rear axel and auto's used the 8 3/4. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2018 at 8:15 PM, tim boyd said:

Ken....there should be an article in the other model car magazine next issue, debuting in the next few weeks, which shows some of these very mods to the kit........TIM 

Got that mag today. FABULOUS article detailing all kinds of little things you need to know about/things you can do to improve these kits. Tim, you've got me in the mood to track down a Melrose Missile now! 

A good place to start your build might be the Mobius #1229 - 1965 Plymouth Hemi Super Stock - Melrose Missile decals.   This kit ( which I just acquired ) is on my build list.  Lots of pics out there on the net of the Missile.  Assume S&M and the Missile cars were very close in construction. 

Edited by Crizila

EDIT - see the next post also, the link only takes you so far....

I know its not the car you are looking for, but if you want correct A990 reference shots. go here...

http://www.moparsbymosher.com/main.htm

Moshers restores old race cars to a tee. it will not get you S and M's race car, but it may help out in other areas. some of the pictures are not showing up for me, hope they do for you. and I hope it helps even a little bit.

Edited by tubbs

ok, so the link only gets you so far, when you get to the page, on the left side, click on "finished cars", then click on the 65 Plymouth picture. that will bring you to a 65 Plymouth build at the top of the page.

Bob Tyler's factory race hemi "Goldfinger"

there are more builds down the page, but I figured this would be the best one.