Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods

Chris Banning's "King of the Hill" '73 Porsche Carrera 911 RSR.  Banning took about 2 years to build it (and a trip to the Porsche factory in Germany).  Its sole purpose in life was winning races on Mulholland Drive in Los Angeles. 

Your eyes aren't playing tricks, the top is chopped.  It's also acid-dipped and stitch-welded with a full roll cage and Lexan windows. The car still existed a few years ago and Banning intended to put it back on the road.

Weird coincidence, but I just posted this link yesterday in the "Trading" forum here.  It's 348 pages of photos and info about Porsches and other cars that raced Mulholland.  The very first page shows the RSR parked in Banning's living room in 1978.  He had no garage then, and put it in the living room to hide it from police helicopters.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/323773-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

ban_por.jpg

There was a racing/reality tv show years back and the winner (I believe) had a 911 that he never showed the engine of. He walked a guy down on the last straightaway (at night) like it was nothing. Can't remember the show or I would have found a photo to post. Anyone remember this show?

My own design, for a client who ran out of money. The idea was to combine the flavors of a 356 Speedster and a 930. Custom front and rear fascia, with the fenders reworked to eliminate the crash accordions. The windshield is chopped and laid back, and the rear body is sectioned and laid forward. The hard tonneau is also sectioned to present a lower profile. I still have the '74 911 Targa S purchased for the project, and it's the second on my list of real-car builds when I retire.

DSCN5874.jpg

DSCN5875.jpg

Figured out the show - SPEED Channel's Supercars Exposed. 2008 Shoot out episode (I think).

Figured out the car - Porsche 996 Turbo

Could not find a good photo of the car. It is white and looks nearly stock. Others have guessed that it was making over 1000 hp.

Back in the late '60s or early '70s, the hot rod mags featured two Porsche projects that always stuck in my mind. 

One was an early 911 Speedster, built WAY before it occurred to the factory. Silver car with big racing stripes. I remember the builder said he went through several cut-down windshields before he figured out how to do it without breaking.

The other was a Toronado-powered 911 coupe. Engine in the back seat, used the Toro gearbox and diff too. Had a fake leather-upholstered "fitted luggage" fiberglass engine cover.