Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods

Couldn’t find a picture of my super beetle with the duck tail, but I did find photos of my favorite bug and it might qualify to be here.  This is an early pic not to long after I got it, the previous owner added a suitcase motor from a 914.  I lowered it, grafted an early bug sunroof on and bumped the engine up to a 2.4. It had a four barrel carb, don’t remember what size or make.  Later on I got a bunch of smooth radius 180* bend pipe from JC Whitney, measured, marked them up for a set of RS style headers.  Local muffler shop welded them up and I bolted a set of Super Trapps to them.  It was a fast, loud, go cart death trap, and I wish I never parted with it.

74110892-D007-4021-BE9C-E5449E29836D.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Loving these cool Porsche's.  The only Porsche build I did was probably 45 years ago (can you tell I'm old LOL).

I'm gonna do another one and would like a recommendation for a moderately priced racy looking but not all out racer.

What suggestions ya got??

it depends which model you want and how detailed. For a nice curbside you cant really go wrong with tamiya if you want a 911 or boxster. If you want full detail fujimis enthusiast series are about the most detailed and they have the 356 and 911 aircooled versions. They also do some curbside versions so take care when ordering to get the versions you want. The revell kit isn't too bad either but compared to the others is a little lacking but its also cheaper and has an engine. Hasegawa have a number of the 924/944/968 type cars too which are nice and some of them have engines. Also italeri have some porsches but the only one i have is the 928 s4. I believe amt also have a 911 in their range but I have no experience of it so cant say if its good or not

1 hour ago, TransAmMike said:

Wanting 911 series car.

Fujimi offers the biggest selection in the 911 series.  They offer both curbside (no engine detail) and full detail kits. The full detail kits are more challenging.  Here is some information I have assembled on the Fujimi kits:

https://race-car-models.proboards.com/thread/1173/fujimi-enthusiast-kits

Edited by afx

JC, just when I think I have my favorite picked out.........along comes new pics.  Love them all!!   That bright red one though is a REAL eye-catcher.  I watched the various videos posted as well.  It's all too confusing..........I'm convinced you'd have to have enough money to own a different one for each day of the week.    Cheers, Tim

• 2 weeks later...