Model Cars Magazine Forum

Porsche Outlaws & Hot Rods

Uummmm...

There was a time when I was much younger, when I thought the 914 was about as ugly a car as one could build. I no longer feel that way, in fact with my affection for small bore mid-engine cars, I have come to really appreciate them, including their looks. This, though... this is a 914 that has truly been flogged with the ugly stick.Jumbo Picture of '73 914 Custom - LVG9

Jumbo Picture of '73 914 Custom - LVG9

Edited by Bainford

I like some of the Strosek body mods...(they generally get the proportions rightMUCH better than the bubble top thing that opened this thread; that roof is horrible).

Image result for strosek 911 porsche

2 hours ago, Bainford said:

Uummmm...

There was a time when I was much younger, when I thought the 914 was about as ugly a car as one could build. I no longer feel that way, in fact with my affection for small bore mid-engine cars, I have come to really appreciate them, including their looks. This, though... this is a 914 that has truly been flogged with the ugly stick.Jumbo Picture of '73 914 Custom - LVG9

I want my 914 to look like a Corvette ... no, wait ... a Ferrari ... no ... a Chrysler??

Edited by Deano

3 hours ago, Earl Marischal said:

Sorry, Bill. That's awful.

steve

I didn't say you had to like it...but it's not any worse than a stock 914, and I think the big lights in the bumper give it an aggressive race-car look much superior to the stock retractable bug-eyes. :D

It would have definitely benefited from shaving the vestigial fender bulges where the odd oval lamps used to live.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

5 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I didn't say you had to like it...but it's not any worse than a stock 914, and I think the big lights in the bumper give it an aggressive race-car look much superior to the stock retractable bug-eyes. :D

It would have definitely benefited from shaving the vestigial fender bulges where the odd oval lamps used to live.

Oh I wish I hadn't seen those 914 pics you posted, I picked up 2 from HobbyLobby for the Fuchs wheels, and was going to try and throw them on ebay........now, I'm not so sure..........

Matt Hummel's barn-find 356.  It was literally parked in a barn for a couple of decades. When dragged out it barely ran, the electrical system had major gremlins and the interior was (and is) pretty much shot. Hummel bought it from a one-line, no-photos Craigslist ad for $6,000.

He didn't want to restore this car, he wanted to drive it hard just like people did when these cars were new and tearing up the rally courses.  To get it running...Porsche purists will hate this part...he dropped in the engine from a 912.  The car was featured in Roadkill magazine a while back.  A search for "matt hummel Porsche 356" will turn up lots more photos and internet articles about it.

hum-por.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit2

21 minutes ago, Mike999 said:

... To get it running...Porsche purists will hate this part...he dropped in the engine from a 912...

That's really not a bad thing...unless it was from a 912E, which is essentially a VW type-4 engine.

The real 912 is very similar to a 356 SC engine, and most of the early cooling tin to make the swap will bolt on. There are a few other minor mods required, but really not much.

After I stuffed my SC-powered Bug slalom car sideways into a tree, I put the engine in a 356A coupe. It didn't bother purists at all...in 1969.  :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy