Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hawk “Wild Woodie” Model 1965

cpspoogie

I have this vintage built Hawk model that I was thinking to strip, disassemble and restore, but was wondering if anyone knows anything about this kit?  I found a vintage Hawk ad with it in it and it looks like it had surf boards too. 

4566AC47-E316-4DCA-97DB-376AEB585C2B.jpeg

53620641-B261-46D8-BF1F-65C6CB0FD1D4.jpeg

5FF8D39B-B4DC-4776-B35E-08BF3A71D240.jpeg

Edited by cpspoogie
Update

Well Chris after years of searching I found one of these on ebay here in the UK. But it's called the Hawk Sandpiper, and seems to have all the features of yours, here's the box top, as it's still on the shelf. What I will do is have a look at it and report back......................

photo-th.jpg

It seems to have 'surfboard' style front wheel covers but I'll look it out and take some photo's.

Here are the photo's of your box top and the parts for mine and both should have three surfboards and the decals for them as well......

The box top for yours.....

photo1-th.jpg

The box side of mine....

photo-th.jpg

The parts and decals.......................

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

photo-th.jpg

And how mine should look built.....

photo-th.jpg

That's a pleasure. I make most of my surfboards from casting plaster or just shaping plasticard.........

photo-th.jpg

and print a few decals.

How or what are you using the strip the paint off? I've  put one of mine to strip and I'm using brake fluid, but it's only taking one layer off at a time!

Edited by PatW

On 7/31/2018 at 2:26 PM, PatW said:

That's a pleasure. I make most of my surfboards from casting plaster or just shaping plasticard.........

photo-th.jpg

and print a few decals.

How or what are you using the strip the paint off? I've  put one of mine to strip and I'm using brake fluid, but it's only taking one layer off at a time!

Brake fluid is much too expensive and hard to dispose of.  Here in the US, there’s a very cheap cleaner called Totally Awesome that I buy at the dollar store.  Works better than anything I’ve ever used, including brake fluid and oven cleaner. 

On 8/3/2018 at 8:18 AM, Mr. Metallic said:

This kit is cool, definitely highly stylized. If I ever get my hands on one I'm going to combine it with an AMT Surf Woody show rod for the engine and frame to help flesh out this kit a bit.

Looking forward to your build

Thanks!  I thought about a big blown engine, but I think I’m just going to change out the lame wheels and paint it like the box cover.  More to come...

On 8/3/2018 at 8:30 AM, philo426 said:

I use Westley's Bleech White to strip paint.Does a good job and a. old Toothbrush is good for those stubborn areas.Followed by soaking the parts in Dawn for an hour or two ,then wash the parts thoroughly in cold water .

Try that Totally Awesome from Dollar Tree.  $1 and it’s unbelievable!

• 2 weeks later...

This is a pic of the disassembled model after several days in the Strip bath.  This is what I mean by Totally Awesome Cleaner. Not only does it Strip the paint, it actually loosens parts from decades old Testors glue.  From here I will sand and primer then make it like the box art, with one exception.  The goofy wheels that came with the kit will be replaced with big sand rail wheels (rear from a 1/24 monster truck kit and front from a 1/24 auto kit) 

6310622D-C8FF-4D79-96D3-A6C966E98F60.jpeg