Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Ford Econoline Van(Phantom Release) -w/Unfinished Interior

I've been wanting to build an AMT Ford Econoline for a while now.  When I was a kid I had the Vantom Econoline kit but this was before I started building models.  Some of my sister's friends tried putting it together but it was a mess.  I wanted it to look like it did on the box but it was white plastic and didn't get painted.  

Back then, in the '70's a neighbor had a 1976 Dark Brown Econoline.  I thought it was the coolest van.  It was the 1st time I saw one of the 'new' style Econolines.  I was used to seeing the older Chevys, Dodges and Fords with the flat fronts, the motors inside and the bus size steering wheels.  My neighbor's 1976 Econoline had a hood like a car and the steering wheel's size and angle was very car-like.  At least that's how I saw it back then when I was young.  I was in love with the new Econoline.

This build is going to be similar to my neighbor's Econoline but not exact.  His van had silver bumpers and stock wheels and hub caps.  This build will have chrome bumpers and turbine style wheels.  My neighbor's had a sunroof, a tire mounted on the rear door with a cover and tear drop windows.  The interior wasn't finished off.  It had all the studs showing.  I remember I was fascinated by the unfinished interior.  It was something I hadn't seen till then.  

Back then none of the vans in my neighborhood had custom finished interiors.  It was a nice dream but not a lot of people could afford to have a finished interior.

This build will represent all those vans that had sunroofs, cool looking side windows, tire covers, nice wheels but never had a finished interior.

I started  by removing the molded in pedals and scratch built a set which includes the parking brake.  I straightened out the rear of the inner driver and passenger door panels.  I don't know why they are angled in the kit.  The details on the door panels aren't too sharp and don't include arm rests so I added some details.  The indentation for the license plate was too shallow and not angled so I removed it and added some angled pieces on the sides and set it in a bit deeper.

I layered .5 mm styrene sheet to make the inner sliding and rear doors.  For the top of the door frames I used three .5 mm pieces of styrene glued and held in place inside the body until they held the shape.  It worked nicely.  I added the various studs and the spare tire support to the inside of the body.  They still need some refining but so far I'm happy with how they turned out.  I made a spare tire/cover and mount for the rear door.  The holes are made for the tear drop windows and I scribed in the rear vertical body seam where the quarter panels attach to the rear section.  

I've been working on the ride height and the sunroof and will post more pictures soon. 

IMG_9222 Small.jpg

IMG_9242 Small.jpgIMG_9248 Small.jpg

IMG_9226 Small.jpg

IMG_9243 Small.jpg

IMG_9246 Small.jpg

IMG_9251 Small.jpg

IMG_9255 Small.jpg

IMG_9268 Small.jpg

IMG_9566 Small.jpg

IMG_9568 Small.jpg

IMG_9570 Small.jpg

IMG_9573 Small.jpg

IMG_9577 Small.jpg

IMG_9583 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

Thanks Terry!  I thought about making the driver and passenger inner doors unfinished but I like the Chateau interior and styling so I think I'll just leave those and put carpeting in the front under the 2 seats.  The rear will all be painted the body color.

Edited by crowe-t

3 minutes ago, espo said:

The added interior structure looks perfect. You might want to consider having the doors open, it would be a shame not to be able to see all of your interior work.

Thanks for the nice words! I thought about it but to make it realistic the sliding door would have to slide and I'm not sure how to do it realistically.  The rear door hinges would have to be made larger to work and I don't think that would look right.  Looking in the windows shows the whole interior so I'm OK with the doors not opening.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks guys!  I made the inner window frames for the front doors but still have to take some pictures.  I just have a few details left and I can get it all in primer.  I'll post some pictures soon.

Edited by crowe-t

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Ricky!  My father had a Ford Econoline and my neighbor, I mentioned in my first post, had one.  

Here's a small update.  The inside of the roof was missing the ribs so I cut some strips of .010" styrene that I added inside so it appears the roof is ribbed.  I should have added the ribs before I glued in the supports.  The supports didn't want to come out so I glued the ribs in between.    

I have to decide if I'm going to put a sunroof in, which I'm pretty sure I will and then I'll get it ready for the paint.

IMG_9740 Small.jpg

IMG_9743 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another update.  My friend Lee(Classic Gas) sent me a sunroof from a Revell GMC Pickup.  It was a bit too large so I cut it down and cut the hole in the roof.  I also moved the tires inward since I don't want to use the flares that come with the kit.  The rear had to be raised a few millimeters.  It sat very low in the back.  

The tires are the custom ones that came with the Phantom kit and the wheels are Turbines from BNL Resins.

IMG_9561 Small.jpg

IMG_9754 Small.jpg

IMG_9755 Small.jpg

IMG_9758 Small.jpg

IMG_9761 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t

• 2 months later...

I started painting the body.  The paint is Gravity Colors Ford Brown Metallic with Gunze Mr. Super Clear airbrushed on.  The inside was painted and cleared first so i masked it off before painting the outside.

For the emblems I applied a light coat of body color over each emblem and a light coat of clear.  I then applied the Bare Metal Foil and cut it in as if I was doing it after it was all painted.  This way I wasn't painting over too much excess foil except in the middle of some of the lettering. After this I painted the body the metallic brown color.  After each coat dried for about 30 minutes I used Tamiya pointed cotton swabs dipped in lacquer thinner and removed the paint from the foil.  I applied Mr. Super Clear right over the whole body, emblems included.

IMG_9941 Small.jpg

IMG_9940 Small.jpg

IMG_9932 Small.jpg

IMG_9930 Small.jpg

Edited by crowe-t