Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auctual "Barn Find" Hubley Ford.

Today was the start of the U.S 127 Garage sales. There was about 5 old Hubley model cars in a Barn garage sale, And this was the only one to be almost complete! The sale was on a goat farm where all the tools, old gas can's, ect were in a barn. The car was on a shelf everything on the shelf was dusty. I think it is a 30 Ford model A.

DSC03080.JPG

DSC03081.JPG

DSC03082.JPG

DSC03083.JPG

DSC03084.JPG

Actually we have a bunch of these. My parents are proud owners of 3 1929 model A fords. Been around them all my life, that's how I know vacations as a kid. took them all over the country. Anyhow I built a Hubley in 8th grade for a race at a national model A convention. It was ran on a track like a pinewood derby track. It was a sedan car and it ran good. So move on a few years and now my mom races it at all the model A conventions they go to. She has won a bunch of races with the same car I built in 8th grade. Haha. She loves it, carries it in a Longenberger basket when she travels with it. LOL. Was just in Nevada for a convention, but didn't seem to do as good as usual. But my dad must 6-10 hubleys in various stages of completeness.

Believe it or not nothing. They track pretty straight down the track. But also the "guide" track that runs under the center of the car keeps it from turning. And is pretty close to the inside edge of the tire. My old car has pretty loose steering and it still tracks straight.

I only just stumbled onto Hubley cars a few years ago and have all the Model A's, the hot rod, a 32 Chevy 5 window  and a cool channelled Chevy hot rod that I won off eBay.  You might be interested to know that the Model A clubs in Australia race Hubleys as well!

They probably go faster than a real one!

Cheers

Alan