Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC Tiger Shark Out Now

62rebel

2 hours ago, disabled modeler said:

Me too Scott..would be cool to build a car dealership diorama with showroom and have it slowly turn inside it.

You'd have to motorize the stand somehow. IIRC the stand was rubber band powered and came with ball bearings and lube. It would rotate fast and briefly. IMHO it was a gimmick that didn't really work that well. 

6 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You'd have to motorize the stand somehow. IIRC the stand was rubber band powered and came with ball bearings and lube. It would rotate fast and briefly. IMHO it was a gimmick that didn't really work that well. 

I was looking around on eBay, there are a bunch of miniature electric motors available.  One was just over 1" in diameter and about 1/2" long (not counting the output shaft).  It's just a matter of experimentation to find gears that would work, after figuring out which battery/batteries to use.  A wind-up "build your own clock" motor would cost more, but should be even better because it's already set up to turn slowly...

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Mr. Metallic said:

Anyone have one yet? Curious what tires they included and everything else in the box.

The "gold lettered and pinstriped tires...", which I think may have been included with the MPC Ice Cream Truck reissue?:

http://www.collectormodel.com/round2-models/4373-kat-chat-totally-tubular-tires/#sthash.nJ8KpeIM.dpbs

Tires-e1528313131368.jpg

The frame is from the Jowett Jupiter; the front suspension is modified VW Beetle, the rear axle and suspension are likely changed too because of the engine swap.  But the chassis/engine are pretty decent considering they were tooled in the mid-Sixties.   The Cragar wheels are good as I recall (haven't looked at one of these in a while), and Round 2 is on a roll with the pad-printed tires.  So even if you don't want to build the car as-is, there are a lot of possibilities here.    

19 hours ago, ChrisBcritter said:

Wonder if the chassis (which was sourced from a British Jowett Jupiter) would be useful for re-creating one of those homebuilt sports cars that were popular in the Fifties?

I always get a kick out of those homebuilt sports cars, there are a few websites that feature them. What a great idea !!!

Edited by Pete L.

• 3 weeks later...

Take note it says MPC. Versions for years have been AMT ones.

Box art is better than picture of built model on my AMT version.

Here's link to it at Autoworld.

http://www.autoworldstore.com/product_p/mpc876.htm

Looks like same parts as previous versions.

So news is at least they put it out.

I think of Tiger Rod as sort of sister car to Silhouette.

5b61c3b0d743b_MPCTigerShark.jpg.92894cb78dea73b0f4312cead233325c.jpg

Here's Kustomorama link about it. Further down page is surprise! The Tiger Shark!

https://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Car_Craft_Dream_Rod

They are my kind of nuts over there. They know what they are looking at when they see these cars.

Here's image of Tiger Rod.The real one.

5b6203beb9e34_TigerRodAtCarShow.jpg.a5d5dea87485855caea6ed5fdc599be9.jpg

Edited by regular guy
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
14 hours ago, Mike999 said:

HobbyLinc has the Tiger Shark on clearance right now for $11.99.  Also the Revell '68 Chevelle for $19.69 and the Lindberg Dodge L-700 truck with Shell tanker trailer for $26.69. 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/mpc/mpcmpc876-12.htm

Good deal!  I actually managed to snag a free one in the Autoworld kit give away but I can see me wanting extras for some of the cool parts!  Thanks for the heads up!

I’d like to try and build some kind of hotrod with that frame under it, I think!

Edited by CabDriver