Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome in Sprint Car kits

I've got a few Monogram Sprint car kits and the wings are chrome.  It appears that they didn't put those sprues in bags back then and the chrome is a little scratched.  Can this be polished out or am I better off stripping it and painting it chrome or aluminum?

34 minutes ago, kitbash1 said:

The wings on the real cars are painted, bare aluminum or heavily decaled. Myself, I'd strip it and paint it aluminum or Bare Metal Foil it. 

I may have to try the bare metal foil if the paint doesn't work out.  I have a sheet that I probably won't need much of since I only have race cars in my collection.  

Hey kitbash1, what does your signature mean?

1 hour ago, Fat Brian said:

The Duplicolor spray chrome has gotten much better in the past few years and then there are the Molotow pens and ink too.

I have some of the perfect match duplicolor chrome and it looks great but not like real chrome like the Molotow.  I've never sprayed the Molotow. However, for aluminum I'm thinking the Duplicolor might pull it off.  I don't remember it being very shiny though.  I'll have to test it.  Does the regular Duplicolor chrome look more acurate than the Perfect Match?

16 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

Empty beverage cans are made from aluminum and can be cut with scissors (but not your wife's sewing scissors). Why not make make your own wing?

I'm afraid that is above my skill level right now but thanks for the idea for a future project when I do get better.

23 hours ago, jchrisf said:

I have some of the perfect match duplicolor chrome and it looks great but not like real chrome like the Molotow.  I've never sprayed the Molotow. However, for aluminum I'm thinking the Duplicolor might pull it off.  I don't remember it being very shiny though.  I'll have to test it.  Does the regular Duplicolor chrome look more acurate than the Perfect Match?

What I have been using is the Perfect Match in the red and black can. It dries pretty shiny and I think it would do good for polished aluminum. I painted the air cleaner on this build with it.

20180324_083825.thumb.jpg.af9edc80e48c1aaa2b6b1fc6dcec70be.jpg