Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Chevy Rescue Van Ambulance

This is probably the first model I created that I'm happy with the end result. With that said, it's far from perfect. Being that I'm still learning, there's plenty of imperfections like the misaligned front passenger side wheel, sub-par body paint job, and the overzealous amount of glue on the rear tires. There's also plenty of small details that I simply couldn't add in due to my lack of experience (although, I was able to paint all the Chevy logos gold, both on the grille and hubcaps). But I'm mostly happy with how it turned out, it's definitely unique, and I'm a fan of emergency vehicles. 

The model also came with a stretcher and some other emergency equipment, which I glued to the stretcher and kept separate. This thing is also difficult to handle, as it has many delicate details like the mirrors and siren that will fall off at the slightest touch.

Anyway, thanks for looking and tell me what you think. I've got a Honda Odyssey lined up for one of my next builds, so hopefully that van can at least turn out as good as this one.

IMG_1044.thumb.JPG.7d83428d828f356509b694341d02414e.JPGIMG_1045.thumb.JPG.578bf3038a1a36b9fc5d0bf77dbff06d.JPGIMG_1046.thumb.JPG.647468229e82955524f7aabf69b1fb17.JPGIMG_1048.thumb.JPG.2c909e5be11a35a56895dc6086bde880.JPG

IMG_1057.thumb.JPG.57db00cb7f9f36458b5b70979903867d.JPG

Also, I found this old, crappy photo I got back when the van was still being built. As you can see, I didn't mask the rear floor completely, but I wasn't too worried since you cant see it very well. This vehicle does have a complete engine, but its mostly covered up and there's no hood to remove. Even if you could, the engine is mostly under the engine cover in between the seats.

001.jpg.3a7e349790409fa195fa6dcf95af3f0a.jpg

Edited by .Regal

Nice build. I built this kit for the first time a couple years ago as a work van. While it's a simple kit it was challenging due to the amount of flash and heavy mold seams on every single part. 

As far as imperfections go just strive to make the next one better than the last. Detailing can help draw the eye away from imperfections. The basic details like chrome or black window trim and gaskets, black or other color washes in grills and panel lines make a world of difference and are fairly easy to do(Sharpie markers come in handy for this type work)

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, crazyjim said:

Nice one.  Use a black wash on the grill for more realism.

I'll try that next time I do a car with a big chrome grille, thanks.

21 hours ago, dshue76 said:

Nice build. I built this kit for the first time a couple years ago as a work van. While it's a simple kit it was challenging due to the amount of flash and heavy mold seams on every single part. 

As far as imperfections go just strive to make the next one better than the last. Detailing can help draw the eye away from imperfections. The basic details like chrome or black window trim and gaskets, black or other color washes in grills and panel lines make a world of difference and are fairly easy to do(Sharpie markers come in handy for this type work)

Yeah, I'm striving to make my models more detailed now. I'm starting to look at pictures of real versions of a car I'm building to give me an idea of what small details to include. I know I need to add more detail to the interiors especially.

I feel your pain...I just wrapped up one of these kits earlier this year, and it's not the easiest to work with as far as getting things straight on it.  Looks like you've got all the broad strokes down and know where you need to go from here, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Odyssey!