Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Black Widow Deuce - a study in kitbashing

mrm

I already have like a million projects going, but one more can't hurt much, right?

So this one has a somewhat clear plan for it. Keep it simple. Make up with as much kitbashing as possible for aftermarket pieces or hard mods. Keep it old school. Paint it in simple colors. Detail it well, without going bananas. 

This picture will give you a slight idea where this will be going. 

X2fjRm.jpg

So....what we have on the picture?

Frame and body from Revell's '32 Roadster.

Fire wall from the AMT '32 Phantom Vicky.

Dashboard from Revell's '32 Rat Roaster.

Wheels and tires from the '32 Rat Roaster.

Flat Head motor and radiator from Revell '32 Tudor Sedan.

Heads, intake and air filter from Revell's '48 Ford Convertible. 

What is not in the picture is the Duval windshield that will most likely come from the Phantom Vicky, the I-beam axle and finned brakes from Revell's '29 Roadster, hairpin radius rods from Revell's '32 5-window and the quickchange rear from the Paddy Wagon. And in case you are wondering where the "Black Widow" part comes from - it's the model Car garage Spiderweb grille and "hoods", which will receive a corresponding spiderweb steering wheel. It will be all black with a little red of course. 

Stay tuned.

Thanks for the interest guys.

So here is a little mockup of the engine. It is the Tudor block and transmission with its belts and generator, but the heads, intake, carbs, fuel pump and air filter from the '48 ford. I have not decided about the heads yet. I may use the Ardun ones from Revell's '50 truck. It all depends if they fit without sticking outside the frame rails.

6NwHcW.jpg
OeAZbN.jpg

The frame got it's regular engine mounts cut off and it was pretty cleaned up and puttied. Now it just needs new motor mounts for the flattie and to be sanded smooth. 

OTZSSo.jpg

The body got its cowl removed, rear inner fenders in place and the AMT Vicky's firewall installed. Now I need to transfer the cowl from the Vicky and I am pretty much done with the body work. 

OvAram.jpg

KfBUZh.jpg

Usually , no matter if I am doing a Deuce with or without fenders, I would roll the rear and have no fuel tank in sight. In the very rare occasion I would leave the tank in its stock location, I would at least fill out its outer edge. No this time. It is staying stock and eventually getting a spreader bar. 

EpHbdW.jpg

And here is a quick mockup of the whole Deuce, which will pretty much give you ZERO idea of what the final model would look like. :lol::lol:

0Cwm4X.jpg

Stay tuned. 

When I built the Revell '32 Coupe I made the mistake of gluing in the rear inner fenders early. And not realizing the mistake until after paint. I'm not sure if the roadster is the same way, but it was pretty near impossible to get the interior in with the fender inserts in place. Looking good.