Model Cars Magazine Forum

I'm going to try and re-engineer that old Scout kit.

That bench seat looks great. I was thinking of a bench seat for the 6 cylinder version I'm planning to build and saw the photo Tom had posted. Thanks for the tips and ideas guys. I have a couple of spare seats form the Blazer kits I can use. Now, I just wish some talented modeler would master an earlier grill with the vertical openings and have them cast in resin for sale. I need to make one for my version of a 73 model with the AMC 6 cylinder I'm building.

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Michael, I install those little wires before assembly, then try to keep them out of the way during test fits, but finally once I actually marry the chassis to the body, they get tucked into wherever I wanted them to go. They are tiny and do require paint touch ups once things are together, so when I finally have all the stuff together, I go in an touch up everything, it's not easy for me to keep things neat and clean during assembly. This hasn't been done yet to my Scout. I'm building this not as a factory original, but one that maybe was once discarded, discovered and rescued, using available parts, as so many of the real ones were saved.

IMG_4198 (Large).JPG

IMG_4124 (Large).JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That turned out very nice! Probably the best version that I've seen built from this kit. I think it's cool to see these simple kits that don't have so many parts being modified into something better and more detailed. You did amazing job with this Scout. Especially the engine bay looks really nice, but your upgrades all over really make it stand out from the rest of the Scouts that I've seen built.

I'm not a huge fan of Off Roads, but this is one of those cars that I've wanted to build. And seeing yours makes me want to build one even more.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Here's that Phantom Woodie. I chopped the top, not the wood, grafted the '50 Chev pickup front, made it into a 2 door and re-worked the wood to incorporate the Chevy rear fenders.

Interior will have to be scratch built! BUT I love doing this stuff!

Cheers!

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_8020.jpg