Model Cars Magazine Forum

The "LOT"

SfanGoch

On 8/7/2018 at 1:11 PM, SfanGoch said:

Who'da thunk you was a Noo Yawka, Rob? :) We used to hit all the clubs like OBI, Rum Bottoms, Hammerheads, Speaks and My Father's Place in the late '70s.

My folks moved us to Tampa Bay, FL. back in '81 when I was 12. I have great memories of the old neighborhood though andI'm still in touch with the old gang on Henry Place. Facebook is a wonderful thing for that.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:52 AM, iamsuperdan said:

I miss the simplicity of those days.

Man, I gotta agree.

Yeah, FB is good for that. AN old friend from the neighborhood, Phil Hughes, moved to Ct. when he was 16, enlisted in the Navy and retired to........Idaho! He never got used to the sidewalks getting rolled up when the street lights go on. :D  He's living in McKinney, Tx. presently. He thought about moving back to The Pernt; but, he said he couldn't afford it now. What he'd pay in rent for a two bedroom apartment here is five times more than the mortgage on his house. Geez, even crummy aluminum-sided two family frame houses are going for over a million bucks.

On 8/3/2018 at 5:19 PM, tbill said:

Ya, the digital age sure seems to have put a damper on outdoor play.

That and the pedophiles, child abductors, drug dealers and gang bangers. The world just isn't as safe as it used to be for kids under 12.

I remember staying out late, doing fun stuff with my friends as a kid. But I won't let my kids stay out after dark and never far away from my presence. I just care about them too much to leave them out there for the creeps!

Until people do something about the dregs, it'll only get worse. 

10 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

That and the pedophiles, child abductors, drug dealers and gang bangers. The world just isn't as safe as it used to be for kids under 12.

I remember staying out late, doing fun stuff with my friends as a kid. But I won't let my kids stay out after dark and never far away from my presence. I just care about them too much to leave them out there for the creeps!

Until people do something about the dregs, it'll only get worse. 

When we went out to play, we'd leave before 9am, we showed up at lunchtime for maybe 20 minutes, then weren;t back until dinner. We would spend literally all day roaming the neighbourhood, and roaming our entire town. Our parents had no idea where we were or what we did all day. We were never really asked to check in with them and they were never worried. Not that they let on anyway. Cars were left unlocked all the time, and it was rare that anyone ever messed with these unlocked cars. Vandalism was a rarity. 

Our town is still not that bad. Our kids are fine to roam our neighbourhood, and we don;t worry too much. Of course, they now carry cellphones with them, so contact and updates are easy.   

See this?

Image result for people sitting on stoops  1940s-1950s brooklyn

This is the most sophisticated and widespread surveillance and security system known to man. They are known as MOMS. MOMS would sit in the windows and watch EVERYTHING that went on on the neighborhood. You thought you got away with breaking a window six blocks away while playing stickball with your friends. Boy, were you ever wrong. Your MOM already knew about it before you stepped foot through the door. MOMS were the sheriffs who maintained order and peace on the block. Every MOM was your MOM by mutual agreement that all MOMS were party to. So, if you got out of line, any MOM could box your ears and you'd get more of the same when you finally made it home just because you got the business from some other MOM.

lolz

My parents still live in the house II grew up in. The next door neighbour (who my mum is constantly annoyed with) is the neighbourhood busy body. Anything goes on, she'll know.

My mother in law has one of those too. Sits by the front window and watches everything.

Which I guess is a good thing. 

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I grew up on a 3 acre piece of property that my dad still lives on. It was surrounded by a farmers field and pasture that had a creek running through it. Sometime in the 40's or 50's they blasted through the bedrock to make the creek larger. About 15 feet wide and 8 feet plus  deep. Spent many a day playing around and in that.  If I went to my buddies house a mile away it was more fun because he had neighbors our age. If we walked across the street to visit his great Aunt  as soon as we walked in the front door of the house we were in Ohio as the porch was in Michigan. That was surrounded by woods with bike trails.