Model Cars Magazine Forum

News of Revell molding preparing in US

Jon Cole

1 minute ago, peter31a said:

"and the molds they sold off." I wonder what that means? New company going to produce what was Revell USA kits? Time will tell I guess.

The people who bought Revell Germany did not buy Revell USA, but they did buy the molds from Revell USA.

1 hour ago, vintagerpm said:

The people who bought Revell Germany did not buy Revell USA, but they did buy the molds from Revell USA.

They did buy Revell US in effect. They own all the tooling and the trademarks, the only thing they didn't buy was the people and property. 

It makes practical sense that Blitz wouldn't necessarily pack up all the U.S. molds and ship them to Germany, especially if there isn't easy access to molding machines that the old tooling would operate on in Poland. Plus having it all in one place will make it easier to inspect and inventory.

But keep in mind most of Revell's tooling was in Hong Kong and they're not going to pack those up and ship them anywhere either. They'll still be contracting that production on-site as well.

1 minute ago, Dave Van said:

Very difficult if the tooling was cut in China.....read up on Chinese partnership in everything made there.....it should scare you.

That would negate any tooling that's been cut in the last ten-ish years only , right ? The old Monogram moulds and the prior-to-circa-2006 Revell mould "should" be "exempt" from any deals with the devil , no ?

10 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

That would negate any tooling that's been cut in the last ten-ish years only , right ? The old Monogram moulds and the prior-to-circa-2006 Revell mould "should" be "exempt" from any deals with the devil , no ?

Correct.....vintage tooling should be able to be shipped elsewhere....in theory.....but at this time it may be tough.....and you'd have to hope no 'accidents' happen in moving. 

A factory in China that made about 40% of all model trains sold in the USA closed last week. Now stateside companies that 'owned' the tooling there are having to go to China and 'save' their tooling which means lots of cash for officials, factory supervisors and guards....etc etc....still not easy in a Communist state.  Just FYI not trying to be a downer....

8 hours ago, Joe Handley said:

Considering how many plastics related companies near where I'm now working, I wonder if that shop is local to me?!

Joe, I looked up Jeff Scruggs on LinkedIn and if I got the right guy he is an Operations Engineer at Sun Pattern Plastics in Wheaton Illinois.

That place technically has a West Chicago, IL zip code, and that's where Revell was having their tooling run on the non-H.K. based molds for the past 18 months.  Looks like Blitz retained them, and has turned them into their tooling warehouse for the moment.

31 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

That place technically has a West Chicago, IL zip code, and that's where Revell was having their tooling run on the non-H.K. based molds for the past 18 months.  Looks like Blitz retained them, and has turned them into their tooling warehouse for the moment.

Well, I live on the south end of West Chicago and work just a few miles away on the north end and not too far from the Dupage Airport.  There must be at least a dozen plastics and related companies around the office and between there and the airprt.

Concerning the visible chassis; it was my understanding that it couldn't be run due to the fact that it required hardware that either couldn't be sourced or would have driven the price point beyond what would be saleable. It also has tires that possibility were soucred out of country (Japan) and also are no longer available. Early Monogram rubber tires were, that's why the recent issue of the Black Widow hot rod has new tooled tires. Besides with the tooling changes made to the V8 converting it to a hand crank, it will no longer fit the chassis. 

It's unfortunate and I would be amazed to see it again but I don't think we will.

Edited by Phirewriter

2 hours ago, High octane said:

I have no  speculations as I have more kits than motivation to keep me building for more years than I have left, especially at the rate I'm currently building at.

I think I read this in every single post that you make. We get it bro, you have enough kit without  purchasing anything else to last you till the end of the next millennium 

Edited by Dale Gribble

1 hour ago, Phirewriter said:

Concerning the visible chassis; it was my understanding that it couldn't be run due to the fact that it required hardware that either couldn't be sourced or would have driven the price point beyond what would be saleable. It also has tires that possibility were soucred out of country (Japan) and also are no longer available. Early Monogram rubber tires were, that's why the recent issue of the Black Widow hot rod has new tooled tires. Besides with the tooling changes made to the V8 converting it to a hand crank, it will no longer fit the chassis. 

It's unfortunate and I would be amazed to see it again but I don't think we will.

There’s always an idiot out there like me willing to pay just about any price to have what they want .....  I don’t think they would have a problem at all selling that even if the price point was $ 400+ ... still cheaper than an origjnal  And would balance out the market of overpriced originals as well

Edited by Dale Gribble