Model Cars Magazine Forum

News of Revell molding preparing in US

Jon Cole

4 minutes ago, High octane said:

I just don't understand why guys have hundreds or even thousands of un built model car kits and are "chompin' at the bit" for the next issue or re-issue of a kit? And then they start nit picking that new or re-issued kit, go figure?

I’m one of those guys. I get it. I have an entire house and half of another house dedicated to models built , unbuilt and random parts .  I have a hearse parked outside packed with unbuilt kits .  And yet I still want to know what’s coming next and there are still kits that I never had the opportunity to re-purchase that i anxiously await their reproduction .... will I build everything I have? I’ll be dead long before that happens. Will I collect everything I’ve ever wanted up until the day that I die? You’re Damned right I will ......

Edited by Dale Gribble

7 minutes ago, Dale Gribble said:

I’m one of those guys. I get it. I have an entire house and half of another house dedicated to models built , unbuilt and random parts .  I have a hearse parked outside packed with unbuilt kits .  And yet I still want to know what’s coming next and there are still kits that I never had the opportunity to re-purchase that i anxiously await their reproduction .... will I build everything I have? I’ll be dead long before that happens. Will I collect everything I’ve ever wanted up until the day that I die? You’re Damned right I will ......

While I don't have a hearse parked outside :D, I have my entire third floor practically bursting at the seams with unbuilt models. I've also got closets in my house that are also filled to the hilt with models. Many times I'll buy a kit not always with intent of 'gotta build it now'!........but that I simply like that particular car and I know I'll never own a 1:1 of it.

Yes, I'll have many models left behind probably when I'm no longer walking the earth, but hey.............might as well enjoy 'em while we can! ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

And I have a basement full, and frankly couldn't care less if another "domestic" Revell kit is ever released again.

I'm commenting from a strictly business operations view. Which is Revell has contract with company, Blitz assumed or canceled all contracts held by Revell. Going backwards in court documents I find no canceling of contracts with West Chicago or Hong Kong facilities. Make sense to continue contract with West Chicago facility since they have practical experience, proven track record,  and wherewithal to operate this older tooling. Even sweeter if you can modify said contract to make them warehouse the stuff for you.

On 8/4/2018 at 1:32 PM, High octane said:

I just don't understand why guys have hundreds or even thousands of un built model car kits and are "chompin' at the bit" for the next issue or re-issue of a kit? And then they start nit picking that new or re-issued kit, go figure?

It's good for cranking up one's post count.If it's a reissued kit, what's the point? Nothing's been changed from its last iteration except the possibility of some "Kustom" parts.

2 hours ago, Hard_2_Handle_454 said:

Saw a model site that changed their posting for the new Boss 302 kit from 2nd quarter to 4th quarter, so maybe there's still some hope at some kits late this year.

Could be that they're hedging their bets and hoping it'll be released by then.

On 8/4/2018 at 12:32 PM, High octane said:

I agree to some extent.

It's always exciting when something new comes out, but in the current climate, we'll be very lucky just to see current issues start flowing again.

In the mean time, I will just sit patiently & wait for the other shoe to drop.

There is not a single thing that we can do about it, and like you, I have enough projects to last me until the second coming.

I have brand new kits in my stash that I know I will not get to for many years to come.

My only fear is that if manufacturers such as Revell never manage to surface again, what will happen to the after market?

I'm always going to need paint & re-plating services in particular.

Steve

23 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

My only fear is that if manufacturers such as Revell never manage to surface again, what will happen to the after market?

That's already the case with certain PE sets and resin transkits which require a donor kit that is almost impossible to find like. for example, the Trumpeter '63 Nova SS.

50 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

That's already the case with certain PE sets and resin transkits which require a donor kit that is almost impossible to find like. for example, the Trumpeter '63 Nova SS.

I don't worry so much about PE or transkits as I rarely use them, but they are all part of the big picture.

I'm worried more about paint suppliers like MCW & platers like Kustom Krome or Chrome Tec.

I can get by without most of the detail & resin parts that a lot of guys use, but I would be absolutely lost without products like Bare Metal Foil!

Steve

Plating will always have a decent customer base simply because modelers either don't like the kit-supplied finish and want something of better quality and appearance or the parts were reworked and require re-chroming. Paint suppliers aren't going anywhere. Just because there are colors made to match specific vehicles doesn't preclude someone from using them for another. They might like the way they look and it suits them just fine to use 'Studebaker Tahoe Green on a super car model.

The problem with PE or resin kits requiring a specific donor kit to complete is like I said. The unavailability of a specific, long OOP kit, kills sales for these items. It's like having a keg of Guinness Stout and finding out the proper tap isn't available from the beer distributor you bought the keg from. I speak from personal experience on this. :D 

Well it's not exactly like anything Revell has made - with perhaps the exception of the '30 Ford - has exactly been made in limited quantities.  Just because you can't find kit xyz at Hobby Lobby doesn't mean there aren't 150 of them floating around at various model shows and eBay, etc.  Another form of life can come to this planet in 1,000 years and ponder why on earth there were so many "every body panel opens" 1957 Chevrolet kits manufactured.

Guess guess then grumble grumble. The reality here is this hobby is going the way of the rotary telephone. From a once thriving hobby with lots of outlets and countless kits from countless manufacturers when I was a teen ager, it has shrunk to what it now is and still shrinking. I say in 5-10 years if you can't buy this stuff on ebay, you will be dealing with resin only. This is the end of an era. Many hobby shops are gone, hey even Modelhaus probably saw the writing on the wall and folded up as well. It is what it is and is not going to change.

1 hour ago, American 185 Heavy said:

Guess guess then grumble grumble. The reality here is this hobby is going the way of the rotary telephone. From a once thriving hobby with lots of outlets and countless kits from countless manufacturers when I was a teen ager, it has shrunk to what it now is and still shrinking. I say in 5-10 years if you can't buy this stuff on ebay, you will be dealing with resin only. This is the end of an era. Many hobby shops are gone, hey even Modelhaus probably saw the writing on the wall and folded up as well. It is what it is and is not going to change.

Gotta disagree just a little. While the hobby has shrank to what it is compared to years ago, I wouldn't call it an end of an era. The hobby is still alive and well in Europe and Asia (look at their shows), and one difference may be that they're offered a lot more choices in modern cars than we are here.

The Modehaus? Don and Carol had one thing that will strike us all-------they're getting older and now saw the need to retire. I look no further than the last show where I saw them in person (Toledo Show 2015), and they had a line a mile long of folks waiting to buy something from them. Not to mention the sheer avalanche of orders that they got when they announced their closing.

The hobby is still alive and well, and look no further than the explosion of 3D printing in the last few years. So while we may not see the burgeoning releases of new tooled models like in the old days, I say that we're heading in a different direction..........I wouldn't necessarily call it the 'end'.  

There's always somebody announcing that the sky is falling and lamenting the end of the "hobby".The model car segment is only a small slice of the modeling pie. If you haven't paid attention lately, there are a slew of new manufacturers pumping out armor and aircraft kits at an unbelievable rate. Car modelers are pining for the next two or three releases or reissue of some long forgotten kit for the year from one company. Meanwhile, treadheads and wingnuts are treated to at least six-ten new releases every month or two. If the cheapskate car modelers were willing to pony up the simoleons for better quality, there'd probably would be more new tooling and even greater variety. But, no. It's the eternal cry of "Oh, man! They're raising the price to "X" bucks! They can't do this to us! They're gonna price themselves out of business!"  So? They can. They will. They most definitely won't.

8 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

There's always somebody announcing that the sky is falling and lamenting the end of the "hobby".The model car segment is only a small slice of the modeling pie. If you haven't paid attention lately, there are a slew of new manufacturers pumping out armor and aircraft kits at an unbelievable rate. Car modelers are pining for the next two or three releases or reissue of some long forgotten kit for the year from one company. Meanwhile, treadheads and wingnuts are treated to at least six-ten new releases every month or two. If the cheapskate car modelers were willing to pony up the simoleons for better quality, there'd probably would be more new tooling and even greater variety. But, no. It's the eternal cry of "Oh, man! They're raising the price to "X" bucks! They can't do this to us! They're gonna price themselves out of business!"  So? They can. They will. They most definitely won't.

^^^^ What he said! ^^^^ ???

14 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

It's like having a keg of Guinness Stout and finding out the proper tap isn't available from the beer distributor you bought the keg from. I speak from personal experience on this. :D 

An improperly-poured Guinness is sacrilegious !  I haven't enjoyed an adult beverage in a long time ; however , when I did enjoy them , I could always recognise a trash pour --- and summarily reject it .