Model Cars Magazine Forum

News of Revell molding preparing in US

Jon Cole

Although a '68 (and potential future '69) Chevelle SS doesn't tickle my fancy, it's good to hear new tooling automotive kits were in the works. Hopefully this new '68 Chevelle is much like the '72 Olds Cutlass design and parts layout-wise.

Considering it's been 50 years since the AMT '68 Chevelle has been out, it seems like a good time for a new one.  And Chevy stuff always sells well.  And I'm sure they are planning multiple variations like they did with the '69 Nova and '69 Camaro... 

Edited by Rob Hall

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

The court erased a good chunk of debt from what I saw in docs posted here....that may leave some folks unhappy. If the Foose kits were produced when they had the license then can sell 'inventory on hand' reckon we'll see. 

If they had no license they wouldn't be able to sell them - look at when Revell in Germany lost their Ferrari license and had to cease & desist selling every single Ferrari kit they had in inventory, taking them off their website and not distributing any kits beyond the stuff that already existed on the market.

3 hours ago, Mike Chernecki said:

Where does it say it isn't happening?

My mistake I was reading about the catalogue numbers changing on kits that weren't technically new releases,hopefully this Chevelle kit lives up to the hype:)

1 hour ago, niteowl7710 said:

If they had no license they wouldn't be able to sell them - look at when Revell in Germany lost their Ferrari license and had to cease & desist selling every single Ferrari kit they had in inventory, taking them off their website and not distributing any kits beyond the stuff that already existed on the market.

All depends on the agreement of the license.   I held a large number of licenses for NASCAR properties and all allowed for 'stock on hand' to be sold when the license expired. Anyone that signs otherwise is not to bright.....but yes....I mistakenly applied my past licenses to Revell and none of us here know those details. 

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Although a '68 (and potential future '69) Chevelle SS doesn't tickle my fancy, it's good to hear new tooling automotive kits were in the works. Hopefully this new '68 Chevelle is much like the '72 Olds Cutlass design and parts layout-wise.

Anybody have a test shot of this 1968 Chevelle.

3 hours ago, Rob Hall said:

Considering it's been 50 years since the AMT '68 Chevelle has been out, it seems like a good time for a new one.  And Chevy stuff always sells well.  And I'm sure they are planning multiple variations like they did with the '69 Nova and '69 Camaro... 

Likely a Yenko version.

There was no Yenko Chevelle as we know it in 1968, so I doubt the kit will be anything more than an SS at first. That said, they should have no trouble selling both '68 and '69 Chevelle SS kits for the next 20+ years, and if they release a '69 Yenko version, more sales. You know people'll buy it just for the wheels, bench seat, and base bumpers. :D

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

That said, they should have no trouble selling both '68 and '69 Chevelle SS kits for the next 20+ years

and that was the strategy of the Revell new tools under Ed Sexton.  No one shot wonders, all quality kits of vehicles we will build over and over!

The 68 and 69 Chevelles are a big need  along with a 1964 Chevelle would be a Gold nugget also. I converted a 69 into a 68 which was pretty easy for a short track race car but would be really hard for a street version.

68 chevelle and hauler 014.JPG

68 chevelle and hauler 027.JPG

Edited by R.J

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Not a chevy guy....anything new is Great news.  Difference between 68 and 69??? I have some 69 chevy short track cars I want to build. 

Grille is different, taillights are completely different, front marker light and rear backup light locations are different, dash is different, some differences in the interior trim (might not be an issue small scale), the 68 has vent windows on the doors and the 69 does not and the body trim has differences (trim differences are also present from model to model during the same year so who knows what they will do)

Basic body shape and roofline are identical. Hoods, doors, trunklid etc are interchangeable. Frame and running gear are mostly the same (different options available depending on the year)

Here is hoping it comes true. I love the AMT 69 Chevelle but the molds are getting pretty long in the tooth.  A new tool 68 and 69 Chevelle would be more than welcome.

If any cars cry to be made in multiple versions, it would be: 

'70-'72 GS and GSX

'68 and '69 Cyclone GT, '69 Spoiler, '69 Spoiler II

'72-'76 Ranchero GT or Squire

'77-'79 Ranchero GT

'73-'77 El Camino or GMC Sprint

These are no-brainers!  Of course, all would be 1/25th scale.

47 minutes ago, Toner283 said:

Grille is different, taillights are completely different, front marker light and rear backup light locations are different, dash is different, some differences in the interior trim (might not be an issue small scale), the 68 has vent windows on the doors and the 69 does not and the body trim has differences (trim differences are also present from model to model during the same year so who knows what they will do)

Basic body shape and roofline are identical. Hoods, doors, trunklid etc are interchangeable. Frame and running gear are mostly the same (different options available depending on the year)

Here is hoping it comes true. I love the AMT 69 Chevelle but the molds are getting pretty long in the tooth.  A new tool 68 and 69 Chevelle would be more than welcome.

Pretty much the story. You'd need two different bodies to do '68 and '69, at least to do '69 SS and COPO/Yenko, though with the chrome side trim you could do '69 Malibu from the '68 body. And then there's the taillight problem--for one shared body, you'd have to have the modeler cut out the areas for the '69 taillights (or maybe break the body at the end caps and have those as separate pieces). And then there are the different emblems between '68 and '69. 

In short, it's nowhere as easy to get both '68 and '69 Chevelles out of one tool as it is to get several different versions of, say, the '69 Camaro. (All of which, are, of course, the same basic '69 Camaro.)