Model Cars Magazine Forum

News of Revell molding preparing in US

Jon Cole

Logically Blitz would have to keep at LEAST the U.S. tooling for items that were in the active catalog before the bankruptcy like the RX-7 which just got reissued before hand.

From the whispers I'm hearing Blitz went through picked out all of the stuff they wanted/needed and liquefied the rest to Atlantis. Pretty sure that press release also said "all remaining U.S. based tooling" which is also a big tell.

3 hours ago, Dave Van said:

Just glad all the tooling didn't become Kia's.......

Exactly.  It looks like it's going to people who want to make model kits, and a look at the Atlantis catalogue shows some pretty esoteric stuff, so if there's some oddball thing from Revell's or Monogram's past that you wish would come back, this is probably your best chance to get it

On 8/29/2018 at 8:01 PM, Phirewriter said:

Since Atlantis seems to be willing to run subject matter that's certainly more niche market, smaller runs, etc... I'm looking at this as a positive since I'm sure some subjects may have been passed on if the old Revell didn't see enough potential numbers by running them. The existence of tooling, their condition and the issues with licensing being the hurdles.

All the 1/8 scale kits from the 80`s please. :):)

And if not all of them, just the `79 and `81 Trans am kits. :) They have been going for a fortune for decades.  

9 minutes ago, Hawk312 said:

All the 1/8 scale kits from the 80`s please. :):)

And if not all of them, just the `79 and `81 Trans am kits. :) They have been going for a fortune for decades.  

Based on how "meh" the reception to the 1/16 MPC Firebirds has been I'd say don't bother.  

The 1/8 '65 Corvette molds are in Poland with Revell Germany's stuff so it would have been retained by the new owners.   

12 hours ago, Casey said:

Regarding Revell U.S. molds, it sounds/reads like..:

1. Blitz retained all molds already in China
  2.  J.R. Salvino's now owns the '80-'92-ish NASCAR stuff
  3. Atlantis now owns (some? all??) molds which were only used or stored in Illinois.

It's unclear to me if Blitz retained some of the molds which were stored in Illinois, however. :unsure:

Looking at the box sides of reissued kits might help decipher where each kit was produced, and who now likely owns the molds for each kit.  For example, the recently reissued Tom McEwen R/E T/F Dragster, which is marked "PLASTIC PARTS MADE IN THE U.S.A.", so this should be in Atlantis' possession (unless Blitz retained it):

1/24 Datsun 4x4, also molded in the U.S.:

Revell 1/24 Mazda RX-7:

Clear as mud. :wacko:

So pretty much all the latest re-issues of vintage kits where molded in the USA. I am mainly referring to the actual Revell kits from the early 70's

And the Mongoose Dragster and RX-7 are originally Monogram Molds. If that matters. 

Thanks for kinda clearing up the fuzziness ;)

Edited by Daddyfink

Something strange.......About us has Elk Groove office which I understand is gone. Online catalog has a odd mix of old Revell USA and RoG kits.  Rommel's Rod is not in catalog but can be back ordered?? Kinda a half backed update with lots of bad info....maybe they are working on it???

21 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Kinda a half backed update with lots of bad info....maybe they are working on it???

I think so. It appears Horizon Hobby has taken the Online Store section over, which makes some sense:

image.png.4475d9bed05ea5d80e6e58482edb5d34.png

9 hours ago, Daddyfink said:

I am mainly referring to the actual Revell kits from the early 70's

If Blitz picked out what they wanted from the whole lot, and Atlantis got the remainder (excluding the vintage NASCAR stuff J.R. Salvino's took), I can't see Blitz wanting the old Revell '60s-'80s (up until the Revell and Monogram merger in '86 or so?) stuff, honestly, as the Revell 1/25 and 1/16 , and Monogram 1/24 F/C and T/F kits seem to fall more in line with Atlantis' interests. The '87+ 'modern' Revell and Monogram kits, yes, I could see Blitz keeping all of those, and I suspect most are already in China anyway. Pro Street '67 Chevelle was molded in China, Hay T-Bird and Beretta kits were molded in U.S.,  so sounds like anything could go either way. :unsure:

I wonder of Revell-AG possessed (owned?) the 1/8 scale Monogram Jag XK-E, '65 Vette, 1/12 '57 Chevy, etc, all of which were most recently released in Revell-AG packaging, but not in Revell U.S.A. packaging. Could those be at the mold facility in Poland?

TL/DR: I don't know. :D

Edited by Casey

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

Something strange.......About us has Elk Groove office which I understand is gone. Online catalog has a odd mix of old Revell USA and RoG kits.  Rommel's Rod is not in catalog but can be back ordered?? Kinda a half backed update with lots of bad info....maybe they are working on it???

If you look through the tabs in the "about us" section the tab for "The future of modeling" talks about new releases coming in 2012...

2 hours ago, Casey said:

If Blitz picked out what they wanted from the whole lot, and Atlantis got the remainder (excluding the vintage NASCAR stuff J.R. Salvino's took), I can't see Blitz wanting the old Revell '60s-'80s (up until the Revell and Monogram merger in '86 or so?) stuff, honestly, as the Revell 1/25 and 1/16 , and Monogram 1/24 F/C and T/F kits seem to fall more in line with Atlantis' interests. The '87+ 'modern' Revell and Monogram kits, yes, I could see Blitz keeping all of those, and I suspect most are already in China anyway. Pro Street '67 Chevelle was molded in China, Hay T-Bird and Beretta kits were molded in U.S.,  so sounds like anything could go either way. :unsure:

But would Blitzvell really give up things like the 60s Tri-Five tooling? I mean is Revell even Revell if they can't further subject people to the awfurrrrdubious nature of those old "everything opens" kits?

58 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

But would Blitzvell really give up things like the 60s Tri-Five tooling? I mean is Revell even Revell if they can't further subject people to the awfurrrrdubious nature of those old "everything opens" kits?

I guess for me, for the most part, Revell stuff worth keeping starts in '88 or so when they started putting out better engineered kits.  There are a few kits, some of which have been SSP reissues (Datsun 510 and 240Z for example) which are worth keeping, but the '53/4 Chevies, '56 Ford Pickup, etc., not so much. Looking at the current Revell catalog online, there's only one 'vintage' Revell car kit-- the Porsche 914. I think Blitz will be just fine with the '88+ subjects making up the bulk of their future catalogs. Let Atlantis' niche be the former Revell SSP style releases.

Edited by Casey

13 hours ago, Brett Barrow said:

Based on how "meh" the reception to the 1/16 MPC Firebirds has been I'd say don't bother.  

The 1/8 '65 Corvette molds are in Poland with Revell Germany's stuff so it would have been retained by the new owners.   

The 1/16th firebird  really isn’t a great kit and they can still be had on the eBay market reasonably priced anyway. The 1/8 scale stuff is always pricey. I would love to see the 1/8 scale Trans Am reissued to kill the speculator market on those .  I could put it next to my 1/8 scale Corvette and Camaro ..... 

On 04/08/2018 at 11:44 AM, MrObsessive said:

While I don't have a hearse parked outside :D, I have my entire third floor practically bursting at the seams with unbuilt models. I've also got closets in my house that are also filled to the hilt with models. Many times I'll buy a kit not always with intent of 'gotta build it now'!........but that I simply like that particular car and I know I'll never own a 1:1 of it.

Yes, I'll have many models left behind probably when I'm no longer walking the earth, but hey.............might as well enjoy 'em while we can! ;)

Some day they'll create a sub-set of the hoarders syndrom just for us.

*Disclaimer - I am just sharing this, and know nothing of it's validity.
Make of it what you will. Hopefully it's not erroneous reporting.

Some long awaited REVELL news:
Home Page Atlantis Toy and Hobby > Atlantis News!
Updated August 2018

Open the Official PDF Version

** PRESS RELEASE **

Tel. (631) 499-6733
Email: sales@atlantis-models.com

Atlantis Models "Preserving the Past while Building the Future"

LONG ISLAND, NY, August 29th 2018 – Atlantis Model Co., manufacturer of plastic models and toys has purchased the tooling for many plastic model kits from the new owners of Revell, Revell Inc. USA-Blitz Partners. These molds were from the tooling banks of Monogram, Revell, Aurora and Renwal, some dating back to the early 1950s. They were stored in Revell’s Elk Grove facility in the great state of Illinois and represent Automotive, Aircraft, Ships, Military, Figures, Space and many other interesting subjects.

Peter Vetri, President of Atlantis, states, “It's a lifelong dream to own this historic tooling and archive material related to these molds; to be able to preserve the tooling is a real honor. We look forward to reissuing many classics that have not been available in quite some time. All of the model kits will be made here in the USA and all the tooling and the Archive have been moved from Elk Grove to our facilities in Deer Park, NY. I would personally like to thank Julie Dombrowski, Edward Sexton, Lou Aguilera, Chris Borris and the legendary Ken Funk for the hard work they did at Revell over the years and especially the last few months which were a difficult closure for them.”

The deal was worked out shortly after the Hobbico bankruptcy was settled out. It was a very smooth transaction. It took about 2 months to complete from start to finish. Rick DelFavero, VP of operations, states, “I think model enthusiasts around the world will be pleasantly surprised in the coming years to see what the tooling bank and Historical Archive contains. We believe our releases will appeal not only to people that saw the original issues of these kits, but also to a new generation that can help expand and grow the hobby!”

Look for kits to hit store shelves 1st qtr 2019, our 10 Year Anniversary!

About Atlantis Models Atlantis Toy and Hobby was founded in 2009 by Peter Vetri and Rick DelFavero with some guidance from former Aurora Project Manager Andrew P. Yanchus. With a combined 60 years of hobby experience, not only are we lifelong hobbyists, we know what it takes to run a successful hobby manufacturing business. Atlantis Toy and Hobby has sold thousands of products all over the world since 2009. Atlantis is an MDR company, Manufacturer-Distributor-Retailer, offering World Class Knowledge and Service in the Hobby Industry.

On 8/31/2018 at 9:47 PM, Dale Gribble said:

The 1/16th firebird  really isn’t a great kit and they can still be had on the eBay market reasonably priced anyway. The 1/8 scale stuff is always pricey. I would love to see the 1/8 scale Trans Am reissued to kill the speculator market on those .  I could put it next to my 1/8 scale Corvette and Camaro ..... 

That`s what I`m thinking. I have the 1/16 MPC kit, and probably will buy a few more. It`s decent, but I would much, much rather have the big Monogram kit. The detail and proportions are excellent on it (I have the `79 and Turbo 1/8 kits as well) plus it`s twice the size. What would really be nice is if they would re-release it and back-date it to a `77.

On 8/30/2018 at 3:42 PM, Casey said:

The 1/4 scale engine? I don't think that'd be a great idea to reissue it, even it it did exist. $100+/kit, needs to be (well, should be) run in three colors like the original, and as you mentioned, how many die-hard Slant Six fans are out there and willing to pay for this kit? Could they even sell 500 copies? 1000?? I honestly think the secondary market can supply 99.3% of the desire for this kit.

Aside from what you mentioned, there were a ton of little hardware bits, screws, springs and a working wire loom... very hard to source everything needed. And as you said, I doubt the sales are there.   I own most of one, along with it's beat to death box.

9 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

I see this as another company only cranking out reissues ala Round 2 with no money or urge to develop new models. But I hope I'm wrong.

Well Atlantis' whole schtick (if you will) is releasing seriously vintage and odd-ball genre model kits.  I can't see why they would want to make new models in the first place, especially after picking up all the cast-off odds and ends from Revell's old vault.

Round2 pretty much constantly develops new models all the time, just not in the automotive subject line.  If you want this month's kit video Chad will tell you all about how the Polar Lights Star Trek kit is in fact new tooling.