Model Cars Magazine Forum

News of Revell molding preparing in US

Jon Cole

Just now, Dave Van said:

I can only find a old RoG FB site. A link???

Also the Revell USA website has removed the TD Rommel's and Baja Bandito pre order and are not to be found.:(:(

https://www.facebook.com/RevellUSA/

41229754_2134887996543456_64605012269612

Dear Revell fans,
Revell USA, LLC and Revell GmbH are now one consolidated company. We are currently producing new products for the US market, developing a new website and updating the consumer service process. Unfortunately we are unable to service parts requests at this time but we will resume as soon as possible. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Dave Van said:

Thanks!.....not much hard data....but you gotta start somewhere!!

Just having it up and running in the correct hands is progress enough for me - we know what kits are coming when (more or less) through the end of 2018. 

I found it rather disheartening that some of the first comments on that post were about the price - and alleged price gouging.  I know people are sensitive to cost, especially when they refuse to mentally move beyond a certain fixed date in their past, but I still want to know what other hobby has such a loud vocal whining.  Do people who ski sit around the chalet and complain about the price of lift tickets and lament the fact that skis used to cost $25 "back in their day"?

Just now, niteowl7710 said:

I found it rather disheartening that some of the first comments on that post were about the price - and alleged price gouging.

The first comment that showed up for me was some bloke complaining about not getting replacement parts for the Silverado that he requested a few years ago I think is what he said, I could only get to about halfway thru the comments before I threw in the towel.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

The first comment that showed up for me was some bloke complaining about not getting replacement parts for the Silverado that he requested a few years ago I think is what he said, I could only get to about halfway thru the comments before I threw in the towel.

There's a couple of them in there about waiting multiple years for parts.  I mean if you're that...patient...keep waiting and maybe someone will remember to put "Never Got Those Parts" on your headstone, because obviously you should have dealt with it 2+ years ago when the request wasn't filled within a month.

18 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

I found it rather disheartening that some of the first comments on that post were about the price - and alleged price gouging.  I know people are sensitive to cost, especially when they refuse to mentally move beyond a certain fixed date in their past, but I still want to know what other hobby has such a loud vocal whining.  

Model car kits should sell for $2 each because that's what they cost back in 1960.  PS- Get off my lawn

16 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

There's a couple of them in there about waiting multiple years for parts.  I mean if you're that...patient...keep waiting and maybe someone will remember to put "Never Got Those Parts" on your headstone, because obviously you should have dealt with it 2+ years ago when the request wasn't filled within a month.

I remember having a conversation with someone from Revell, it may have been Ed, about some of the parts requests they were getting... 

When Revell came out with the '66 Chevelle wagon with a custom hood,  suddenly everyone was missing the stock hood in their '66 El Camino kit!

Also how it was funny how people would be missing specific parts from different trees... such as "my kit was missing the custom wheels and the tires for same"...

Idiots seriously took advantage!

Edited by Tom Geiger

I have a RM 85-4295 Good Guys '55 Belair HT with two of the four stock tires melted/deformed, still attached to the vinyl sprue. I sent a request for replacements and was informed that the kit had been discontinued; so, no replacements were available. Really? These are the same tires included in the new tool (ca. 1990s) '55 Belair convertible and Show Rod issues of the HT.

17 minutes ago, Brett Barrow said:

Don’t tell them you have an old kit, you have to tell them you have the current issue of the kit. That’s like Parts Mooching 101. 

Haha, Brett knows the trade secrets! :D

Any update on the ETA of the Rommel's Rod at all Brett? 

21 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

Just having it up and running in the correct hands is progress enough for me - we know what kits are coming when (more or less) through the end of 2018. 

I found it rather disheartening that some of the first comments on that post were about the price - and alleged price gouging.  I know people are sensitive to cost, especially when they refuse to mentally move beyond a certain fixed date in their past, but I still want to know what other hobby has such a loud vocal whining.  Do people who ski sit around the chalet and complain about the price of lift tickets and lament the fact that skis used to cost $25 "back in their day"?

Yes there are other hobbies where people whine LOUDLY about prices......................I own a gun shop. Listening to people whine about "you want WHAT for that gun??!! The last one of those I bought cost me 79 bucks!!! When was that? Well, I bought three of them for that in 1967, and you want $229 for them now???!!!" And it's even worse when the guy who bought a new Super Blaster 45 from you a year ago comes back in to sell it back to you and demands to make money on it.................and complains when you won't pay him $100 more than he paid for it, even when you still sell new ones for the same price he bought his for. They think guns have markups like jewelry...................ain't so! Not even close!!!

It isn't a hobby problem...................................it's a PEOPLE problem!

Edited by redneckrigger

This thread is very encouraging to me. 

On 9/7/2018 at 10:22 PM, niteowl7710 said:

This is what I have been thinking. I mean, my first kit I bought at Kaybee for $4.99 back in 1983. Yes kits are 4 to 5 times the cost now. But as someone who remembers kits from the 80`s, I have no problem paying that price now. I have built my share of kits with engines where the starter, oil filter, fuel pump, water pump, and oil pan were all just  "bumps" on the block, and a long block and transmission were just 4 parts. Or front and rear suspensions that were one piece with the exhaust molded in. Not too mention the flash everywhere and flaking chrome. Compare that to the Foose truck I am working on now which is detailed, proportions are excellent, molding is super crisp, and all the parts would probably fall into place just by shaking the box since then engineering is so much better. I have no problems paying a little extra for this kind of quality. And, there are always the snap kits for those who are just entering the hobby or want something less expensive. 

Model car building is an adult hobby for our generation and not a kids toy as in the past so if you want to play you have to pay just the way times are now. I have  no idea on real numbers but my guess is that if a model released today that can sell 5000 kits  would be  a big seller where as 30 years ago that same kit may have sold 50,000 units, but the 5000 most likely cost more to produce today then the 50,000 units did 30 years ago. If the quality is good and I want to build it $50.00 for a kit and the extras to go with it is not a bad deal for hours of building and the satisfaction of displaying when finished.

18 hours ago, redneckrigger said:

It isn't a hobby problem...................................it's a PEOPLE problem!

Would you please allow me to use that as my signature?

Although, prices for model kits are too bloody high, now that I think about it.

Edited by Junkman

I've long since realized if no manufacturer ever released another all-new kit, I'd be fine with that. There's plenty of room for more specific niches (vintage NASCAR stock cars, vintage drag subjects, etc.) within the automotive modeling realm, so the possibility of having kits available within the next few years which wouldn't have been possible under old Revell's ownership is something to look forward to, IMHO. If I'm being honest, maybe only 10% of Revell's new and reissued announcements each year appealed to be, and I only bought maybe one or two Revell kits at retail per year, mainly for parts, so until that 1/8 '55 Bel Air Hardtop kit is released, I can survive on reissued kits or buying old stock at shows, on eBay, etc.

We'll all be fine, really. :)

Admittedly, the biggest reason I'm glad for Revell's return as well as the dispersal of Revell's older tooling is a business one - my shelves. 

Simply put, the lack of availability of Revell to cater to the mainstream domestic auto builder has left a BIG dent in my shop's domestic auto shelf that (great companies that they are in their own right) Moebius and Round 2 simply cannot fully fill. 

My own personal building tastes might be primarily accurate factory stock builds of vintage sports cars, but that means bunk when it comes to filling the shelves of a hobby shop that caters to all builders and Revell remains the standard bearer for modern domestic auto kits. Without their availability I underserve replica stock, custom, drag, light commercial, and hot rod builders to a very measurable degree. 

3 hours ago, Casey said:

so until that 1/8 '55 Bel Air Hardtop kit is released, I can survive on reissued kits or buying old stock at shows, on eBay, etc.

We'll all be fine, really. :)

Man, that WOULD be something if that ever came to be! I can envision someone doing that 3D printed though. Expensive yes, but what a showpiece that would be when done! ;)