Model Cars Magazine Forum

I know I've morphed into my parents, but autograph prices.....WOW

HomerS

I wanted to to meet John Zacherle, "The Cool Ghoul" one more time. I met and shot the bull with him a couple of times back in the mid and late '70s when he was a DJ at WPLJ-FM. I wish I still had the negative from when my friends and I took pics with him using a lame Kodak 110 camera. I loved watching him when he hosted cartoons and Chiller Theatre on WPIX Channel 11 and Disc-O-Teen on Channel 47 before it went all Spanish language programming.

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Point taken, Mike. The B- and lower List celebrities charge for their autographs to make some extra money. 

There's a fan event which is held annually in NJ called "Chiller Theatre Toy, Model and Film Expo". Here's a guest list for this year. Pretty good  bunch of celebs there. If you look at the upper right of the page, organizers added a disclaimer about guests charging for autographs. If a guest tells you that the expo is making them chrge for an autograph, let a staff member know and they will confront that person. :D 

That is a pretty good list. While I was scrolling through it, the thing that jumped out at me was that you could meet the kid, on the raft, that got eaten in Jaws .

55 minutes ago, disabled modeler said:

LOL.. Yeah me too but I know Ill never see any of it....I have people that have owned me money for over 20 years and its a substantial amount with a few of them...guess they forgot I helped them when they needed it..???

I worked at a place where the owner was in the habit of loaning money to employees.  Many would leave before paying back in full.  Others would walk into my office and ask me to loan them money.  I pointed to the sign on my desk that read: "loaning money causes amnesia"...

2 hours ago, Mark said:

I worked at a place where the owner was in the habit of loaning money to employees.  Many would leave before paying back in full.  Others would walk into my office and ask me to loan them money.  I pointed to the sign on my desk that read: "loaning money causes amnesia"...

Mark...I like that...LOL..   back when I made good money i helped them because they were my close friends and was trying to help them out like others.  Funny how times change now I am the one in their shoes or spot...LOL..   At least i tried even though things turned out the way things have..?

On 8/5/2018 at 12:31 PM, Tom Geiger said:

Quite  a list of a few celebrities and a whole host of unknowns!

It would be worth going just to meet Barbara Eden and Gumby!  

GUMBY!!! They have GUMBY!!! Oh man I wish I could be there! Even my grandkids love Gumby!:lol:

3 hours ago, OldTrucker said:

GUMBY!!! They have GUMBY!!! Oh man I wish I could be there! Even my grandkids love Gumby!:lol:

I found Gumby and Pokey on one of my business trips. Brought them home, and they played with them forever. Gumby enlisted as a test pilot in the Ambrose Model Rocket Space Force. One lovely San Diego morning, he ejected successfully from his craft, was picked up by a northbound air current, taken out over Mission Bay, and never seen again. 

Rachael still mentions it every now and again. 

On 8/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, Tom Geiger said:

Mvc-001s

I'm not big on sports figures since I grew up mostly outside of the USA.  Here's one of my heros, Bob Paeth signed my '57 Nomad box for me at GSL. And he didn't charge me!

I have that kit and Bob told us the story behind it when we spent most of a weekend with him at the Toledo NNL several years ago before he passed. 

He graciously signed this one for me and told us the story of the names on the sides which was very cool. He was a super guy. 

55chevy.jpg

On 8/12/2018 at 12:02 PM, gui_tarzan said:

I have that kit and Bob told us the story behind it when we spent most of a weekend with him at the Toledo NNL several years ago before he passed. 

He graciously signed this one for me and told us the story of the names on the sides which was very cool. He was a super guy. 

He was a super guy!  I met Bob at GSL, probably 2000 when they had the entire original Revell staff on a panel.  I stood up and addressed the staff, telling them as a kid I had bought that '57 Nomad, drawn to it by the Hollingsworth car on the box, and couldn't get it together.  Then every year I reasoned I had grown up a bit and could tackle that car... nope! I never did get one together.  Everyone laughed at my story, and afterwards Bob sought me out, sat me down on a hotel lobby couch and spent the rest of the evening telling me that story!   

The next time I went to GSL, I folded up that box and brought it for Bob to sign.  That brought together my entire modeling experience, and the little kid in me was pleased!   If I ever knew that would happen someday when I was a kid.

Bob was very humbled that we all remembered, collected and thought his work was important!  He said back then they were just making toys, they never imagined what occurred with the collector hobby with adults.  As such, he said he would participate and share everything he could, which he did right up to his untimely death.

Rest in Peace Bob!  You are one in a million!

We bet Bob on a Friday night at the hotel we were staying at, he was coming in right behind us. He saw my kits on our luggage cart and asked about them. That started the conversation and we spent Friday night, most of Saturday and part of Sunday with him. Another story he told us about was the origin of the Thames Panel Truck. Very cool. I wish those guys could have written down stories to share with everyone before they passed, the ones I heard were some great stuff!

8 minutes ago, gui_tarzan said:

Another story he told us about was the origin of the Thames Panel Truck. Very cool. I wish those guys could have written down stories to share with everyone before they passed, the ones I heard were some great stuff!

Ah!  Was that the Ken Berry story?  Cool

We believe the museum has a lot of video of people and presentations from GSLs past, but none of it has become available.  I'm hoping there's Paeth footage as well as a few others like Augie.