Model Cars Magazine Forum

1932 Ford Open Cab [Roadster] Pickup

There were 593 Roadster [Open Cab] Pickups produced in 1932. A ‘soft-top” roof was available and although it could not be folded, it was removable. Grill bars for commercial vehicles were stamped as part of the shell and painted black but passenger car shells and grills were available as an option. Also painted black on commercial vehicles were the headlight buckets and bars. Windshield frames were painted body colour. If spare tire was ordered it had to be a side mount. Fuel tank was under the seats. Most pickups were equipped with four cylinder engines. Ford used up left over Model A door hardware on commercial vehicles.

I started with a Lindberg/AMT ’34 Ford Pickup. The roof was cut off and the chassis and running boards shortened a scale 6 inches. The cowl and windshield are from a Revell ’32 Roadster as are the hood and grill shell. The side contours on the body were done with Evergreen half round.

The model was build basically stock but mildly hot-rodded with a souped up flathead and lowered stance. The side mount that came with the kit was a styrene tire, which I smoothed to give a tire cover look. The twin taillights are 32 passenger car style. The main body paint is Tamiya Blue with Testor’s Black enamel fenders and Tamiya French Blue wheels.

image.png.d594df048ad32dd5b553c1cfc3de3807.pngimage.png.bbcabc694845ab6686f1ea6ac2e39e44.pngimage.png.12dd3b6159aa5e76ec355e8e4bb5ce89.pngimage.png.db1e1deb9dcad991ee559f33aedd4690.pngimage.png.4d7b3cae4cf3be98075e3f8e318e65c9.pngimage.png.7c2334c0d39c14e1839bfeccc7343695.png

Fantastic! It has the right look and I really like the color choices. 

I'll always have a soft spot for '32 Roadster Pickups. My Dad had one for 25 years that I grew up playing in. It's now in Texas and is owned by Bruce's Rod Shop. They actually have two. I also have a customer in Rhode Island that has 2 complete trucks and an additional cab. They're out there!

1 hour ago, Dennis Lacy said:

Fantastic! It has the right look and I really like the color choices. 

I'll always have a soft spot for '32 Roadster Pickups. My Dad had one for 25 years that I grew up playing in. It's now in Texas and is owned by Bruce's Rod Shop. They actually have two. I also have a customer in Rhode Island that has 2 complete trucks and an additional cab. They're out there!

Thanks Denis - I am glad you like it as it was you who put me on the correct path when I started construction. I am now working on a '32 Cab pickup conversion from a '34 and it certainly is not as straight forward as I originally thought.

2 hours ago, DumpyDan said:

Bravo!  Very neat idea, love the idea, you did an awesome job on this 32

2 hours ago, landman said:

Great build. I see something similar in my future.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Great build.  I really like the way you did it.

1 hour ago, Bernard Kron said:

Nice!

Thanks guys. It was a fun build of something that would be nice to have in full scale. I am really liking how my closed cab version is turning out and hope to have completed by the end of the month.