Model Cars Magazine Forum

Locking Threads

Hey, everyone, I just want to clarify a few things here. That thread was started by me to SIMPLY show what I call a cheap, Chicken-scratch box art drawing, that I had just came across. It looked so bad that I thought it was fake. I wanted to see what others considered to be bad box art.....not start a debate about what is or isn't art.

It's not a mystery that Myself and Steve don't get along, a year or two ago we got into a discussion about "Scaled-down" finishes, and we didn't agree. Neither one of us got mean about it, but an observant person could tell that we weren't gonna get along.....and that's fine....its life. Ever since that discussion, Steve And I just stopped interacting with each other, which was a good thing. What I don't understand is why someone you KNOW doesn't like you would all of a sudden start commenting against you on YOUR own topic?, its not hard to see. There are discussions, and then there are debates. Discussions are relaxing and fun...…..this IS my intention with everything I post. Debates AUTOMATICALLY create a defense-attack feel, which I don't like. Again, if I was looking for a debate, I would have called it ;"Lets debate what is bad box art"

2 hours ago, Xingu said:

I will just give you my thoughts on this particular thread and on moderating in general. It will be a rambling post.

The thread in question started with bad language, which in turn let other posters think they could use worse language in their replies. Those were removed and warning points issued. It morphed into an objective argument of what is good and what is bad as far as model box art (which has been discussed here several times). Then it became an objective argument of what is good and what is bad art in general. Then it was quickly becoming an argument between two members. So it was locked down, before it got any worse and before others could add to the argument.

Being responsible not only means doing things that won't make everyone happy, but it also means knowing ones self, and surroundings. Please don't be upset with the moderators, I was the one who asked for his help, because I knew where it was going between Steve and I (things were about to get worse). Thank you to Xingu for helping, and I'm sorry that you are getting flak for this. 

Ok folks, I take complete responsibility for the thread in question being locked, but I will not apologize for it.

When I joined the discussion, I was a little confused as to what we were supposed to be discussing.

I am always under the impression that if a person starts a thread of this nature, he is looking for an "actual discussion" with apposing views & thoughts. :o

Otherwise, what were we to expect?

Six pages of "yeah, that's really bad box art, but this one's worse".

That is exactly what was transpiring.

When I originally joined the discussion, I merely stated that I didn't care what the box art looked like, it was the contents that mattered.

It was the OP who responded with, "My posting was originally about good art, versus bad art", so it was the he who took the discussion in this direction & away from the box in question.

Shouldn't the OP have the discretion to take "his" thread in the direction that he chooses?

In response to his statement, I next declared that there could not be a resolution to that question as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and then legitimately questioned what direction the discussion was supposed to be heading.

With that, I was basically told that I was talking to a "talented artist" & that my opinion was unwanted because, I guess I am unqualified to interject my thoughts?

Furthermore, I was told that apparently "I think that I know everything" and that I should "treat myself to a cookie".

I'm not sure about how others would deal with this aggression.

Maybe just suck it up, put your tail between your legs & head for the exit?

No, I will defend myself.

I took that charge as a challenge to anyone who is not a "talented artist" to have any opinion as to what is art & what is not.

I then proceeded to voice my opinion on the subject of art and artists in general without calling anybody any names and without questioning their intelligence to speak on the matter.

You may also be interested to know that I ended that post with the statement that "maybe we should lighten up a little".

"It's just a box".

From there, the discussion seemed to begin to calm back down a bit, and while there was still discussion about art in general, the artwork in question was still the basis of the conversation.

So, I guess that you could say that I'm still a little perplexed about why it needed to be locked.

But that is not my call.

That duty belongs to the moderators, and I guess I need to respect their efforts to keep things around here squeaky clean.

I will conclude by saying that I frequent forums such as this one, not only for the camaraderie, the tips and tricks & the wonderful builds that I get to view, but also for some occasional mental stimulation.

If every thread is going to be a nothing more than a statement followed by endless affirmations, I have little interest in conversing here.

If there is to be no spirited exchanges, I might as well just pop in occasionally, look at a few pictures & go about my day.

Let me reiterate, I will not apologize for my role in the locking of that thread, but I would like to offer in advance my wholehearted apology to Joe for getting this one locked! ;)

Steve

4 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Ok folks, I take complete responsibility for the thread in question being locked, but I will not apologize for it.

When I joined the discussion, I was a little confused as to what we were supposed to be discussing.

I am always under the impression that if a person starts a thread of this nature, he is looking for an "actual discussion" with apposing views & thoughts. :o

Otherwise, what were we to expect?

Six pages of "yeah, that's really bad box art, but this one's worse".

That is exactly what was transpiring.

When I originally joined the discussion, I merely stated that I didn't care what the box art looked like, it was the contents that mattered.

It was the OP who responded with, "My posting was originally about good art, versus bad art", so it was the he who took the discussion in this direction & away from the box in question.

Shouldn't the OP have the discretion to take "his" thread in the direction that he chooses?

In response to his statement, I next declared that there could not be a resolution to that question as "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and then legitimately questioned what direction the discussion was supposed to be heading.

With that, I was basically told that I was talking to a "talented artist" & that my opinion was unwanted because, I guess I am unqualified to interject my thoughts?

Furthermore, I was told that apparently "I think that I know everything" and that I should "treat myself to a cookie".

I'm not sure about how others would deal with this aggression.

Maybe just suck it up, put your tail between your legs & head for the exit?

No, I will defend myself.

I took that charge as a challenge to anyone who is not a "talented artist" to have any opinion as to what is art & what is not.

I then proceeded to voice my opinion on the subject of art and artists in general without calling anybody any names and without questioning their intelligence to speak on the matter.

You may also be interested to know that I ended that post with the statement that "maybe we should lighten up a little".

"It's just a box".

From there, the discussion seemed to begin to calm back down a bit, and while there was still discussion about art in general, the artwork in question was still the basis of the conversation.

So, I guess that you could say that I'm still a little perplexed about why it needed to be locked.

But that is not my call.

That duty belongs to the moderators, and I guess I need to respect their efforts to keep things around here squeaky clean.

I will conclude by saying that I frequent forums such as this one, not only for the camaraderie, the tips and tricks & the wonderful builds that I get to view, but also for some occasional mental stimulation.

If every thread is going to be a nothing more than a statement followed by endless affirmations, I have little interest in conversing here.

If there is to be no spirited exchanges, I might as well just pop in occasionally, look at a few pictures & go about my day.

Let me reiterate, I will not apologize for my role in the locking of that thread, but I would like to offer in advance my wholehearted apology to Joe for getting this one locked! ;)

Steve

Agreed, 100%

If we all liked the exact same thing. the world would be a very VERY boring place

I don't think the issue is that everybody has to agree on everything. Gregg has provided us with forum for discussing model cars. To provide order from chaos he decided that it would be a moderated forum.  He has selected who will moderate the site to provide a forum environment that is stays in line with that goal.  

WOW, steve, you still don't get it......anybody who reads the whole topic will see that I didn't call any names, call myself a "Talented" artist, or actually any of the things you accuse me of, and after me explaining/ taking the blame for locking MY topic, you are now taking jabs at our Moderators......wow, no Mother Theresa....

3 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I don't think the issue is that everybody has to agree on everything. Gregg has provided us with forum for discussing model cars. To provide order from chaos he decided that it would be a moderated forum.  He has selected who will moderate the site to provide a forum environment that is stays in line with that goal.  

I agree 100%

41 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, everyone, I just want to clarify a few things here. That thread was started by me to SIMPLY show what I call a cheap, Chicken-scratch box art drawing, that I had just came across. It looked so bad that I thought it was fake. I wanted to see what others considered to be bad box art.....not start a debate about what is or isn't art.

It's not a mystery that Myself and Steve don't get along, a year or two ago we got into a discussion about "Scaled-down" finishes, and we didn't agree. Neither one of us got mean about it, but an observant person could tell that we weren't gonna get along.....and that's fine....its life. Ever since that discussion, Steve And I just stopped interacting with each other, which was a good thing. What I don't understand is why someone you KNOW doesn't like you would all of a sudden start commenting against you on YOUR own topic?, its not hard to see. There are discussions, and then there are debates. Discussions are relaxing and fun...…..this IS my intention with everything I post. Debates AUTOMATICALLY create a defense-attack feel, which I don't like. Again, if I was looking for a debate, I would have called it ;"Lets debate what is bad box art"

Being responsible not only means doing things that won't make everyone happy, but it also means knowing ones self, and surroundings. Please don't be upset with the moderators, I was the one who asked for his help, because I knew where it was going between Steve and I (things were about to get worse). Thank you to Xingu for helping, and I'm sorry that you are getting flak for this. 

I just want to let you know Dann that I have absolutely no animosity towards you whatsoever & never have.

I don't even recall the previous discussion that you pointed out here.

I have many discussions on this forum & have had countless disagreements with many members whom I consider good friends & they are friendly to me as well.

I do not come here looking to make enemies & I cannot think of a single member here who I dislike, you included.

Just because I may have disagreements with others in certain topics does not translate into me "disliking" anybody.

If that were the case, I would hate every relative I have.

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Just because I may have disagreements with others in certain topics does not translate into me "disliking" anybody.

Maybe we can have a discussion sometime about what certain relatives think about us playing with little toy cars, trucks, planes, etc :D

6 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

WOW, steve, you still don't get it......anybody who reads the whole topic will see that I didn't call any names, call myself a "Talented" artist, or actually any of the things you accuse me of, and after me explaining/ taking the blame for locking MY topic, you are now taking jabs at our Moderators......wow, no Mother Theresa....

Ok, here comes the locking! :)

Quote, "I'm actually an artist who was born with talent".

Quote, "If you don't understand what this topic is about, then why are you here?"

Quote, "Seems to me you think you know everything......EXCEPT art".

Quote, "Must be nice being you.....treat yourself to a cookie"

From your post yesterday at 12:59 PM.

Maybe I took it wrong, but that all sounds a bit confrontational to me.

Did I take a jab at our mods?

I don't see it, but If so, I digress.

Steve

3 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I just want to let you know Dann that I have absolutely no animosity towards you whatsoever & never have.

I don't even recall the previous discussion that you pointed out here.

I have many discussions on this forum & have had countless disagreements with many members whom I consider good friends & they are friendly to me as well.

I do not come here looking to make enemies & I cannot think of a single member here who I dislike, you included.

Steve

What a cliched, "cookie-cutter" response to save face. It wont fool as many people as you think, and just because people don't tell you that they don't like how you treat them, doesn't mean you aren't treating them kindly......the world is full of good people that get kicked around by others. I'm not one of them. Nice tactic with the stupid joke at the end...….its been done before.

1 minute ago, Dann Tier said:

What a cliched, "cookie-cutter" response to save face. It wont fool as many people as you think, and just because people don't tell you that they don't like how you treat them, doesn't mean you aren't treating them kindly......the world is full of good people that get kicked around by others. I'm not one of them. Nice tactic with the stupid joke at the end...….its been done before.

Such vitriol.

Not trying to save face.

Just stating a fact that I don't hate you, I don't know you and I don't remember any previous conversations with you.

You seem to have a major issue with me though.

But I can live with that.

I'm happy that I can go through life without hating people.

Steve

Just to let everyone know, i'm done wasting my time with someone who DOESNT want to see how he's acting. He can continue to try to make me look like a horrible person if he wants, but oh well, the world is full of internet "tough guys".

Okay it's the dreaded bad moderator locking another thread....Joe I do to a point agree that some threads get locked in the past when they steer away from the subject which does really happen in just general discussion even but it sooner or later goes back to the discussion....Dann,Thank you for defending Mike and explaining reasons of why it's been locked and Steve also thank you for explaini g as well but this "he said" stuff needs to stop and enough is enough,take it up in a pm or better yet just let it go...its a hobby!!!... No matter what a mod does or says will never please everyone and it's not like we jusssss love to lock,block and give out warnings on members and it sure isn't a job that we just love to do....there are four moderators to watch,monitor and yes sometimes babysit a huge member count on here so my suggestion to anyone who does not like what I or any other moderator do here then apply for the job next time....remember when you all signed up to this forum you agreed to the rules and guidelines but I guess that too is a mods job is to remind....