Model Cars Magazine Forum

WW II Jeep by MPC

David G.

As near as I can tell from looking at the model kit, this version is based on the Ford... or Willys Jeep that would have been manufactured in 1942... or as late as 1955. There's just not enough detail to chop it that finely.

WW_II_Jeep_00.jpg.30c9e31b06271427c942a6ebefbdbb29.jpg

Painting is easy when everything is the same color. I did give the seats a light spray of tan paint to give them more of a canvas look.

WW_II_Jeep_01.thumb.jpg.0377d6f7a92ae099f4c41c4e6ea27585.jpg

Chassis with basic "mud" wash. Who ever heard of a clean Jeep?

WW_II_Jeep_02.thumb.jpg.e4ea58f7c7a1b09a08d8e4d6bc817168.jpg

More mud with some rust and oil thrown in for good measure.

WW_II_Jeep_03.thumb.jpg.4d7d185f0ff41cfc94e132fe9332ead3.jpg

The dash detail includes data plates that I printed for the glove box and instrument detail. I painted the gauges black then lightly sanded them to remove the paint showing the engraved detail. And of course, a dirt wash for the body.

WW_II_Jeep_04.thumb.jpg.51f43f2366f414fb1b2747f2f4d11599.jpg

As Always, thanks for taking the time to look and please feel free to comment.

David G.

It was a shame that MPC did not give the kit a tire option of having the cleated military tire and the Goodyear snow tires

It did have some nice custom parts, and the neat recoilless rifle. (mount that on a sno cat for avalanche abatement.)

greg

26 minutes ago, GLMFAA1 said:

It did have some nice custom parts, and the neat recoilless rifle. (mount that on a sno cat for avalanche abatement.)

Or mount it on your favorite 1/24 scale Japanese truck!  Here's one in Libya, 2011...getting a helping hand.  Note the cardboard 105mm ammo canisters piled up, right under the spare tire.

rr_truck.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

I built one of these when they first came out in the late '60s. It didn't have the big gun then, just a "sort of kinda" M2 .50. 

I'm not sure the recoilless rifle is accurate for a WWII Jeep. That might be more of a Korean War (or even later) thing. 

At any rate, I like where you're going with this. As someone else said, too bad they never put authentic GI type tires in this kit. 

20 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

It was a shame that MPC did not give the kit a tire option of having the cleated military tire and the Goodyear snow tires

greg

I agree with you on the tires Greg. I'm not sure what I'll do with the recoilless rifle yet, but I've already used the MG on my AMC Pacer Recon.

David G.

On 8/5/2018 at 7:31 PM, smhardesty said:

By God, the United States Army. That's who. And I've had to clean the same Jeep 3 times before it was clean enough for the Motor Pool Sgt.

I was the same way when it came to turning in weapons into my arms rooms. If I didn't think it was clean, it wasn't. Get off the line and clean it again. :D 

49 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

I was the same way when it came to turning in weapons into my arms rooms. If I didn't think it was clean, it wasn't. Get off the line and clean it again. :D 

Never had a problem with any Armory Sgt. I grew up with guns. Had my own .22 about age 6 and a 410 at age 7. Learned to clean them the right way.

I just hated going into the pit to wash all the mud from under vehicles I was responsible for. I never really believed the "Virgin Mary" was going to eat off any of those parts under there. (Thanks for reminding me, George)

On 8/5/2018 at 6:31 PM, smhardesty said:

By God, the United States Army. That's who. And I've had to clean the same Jeep 3 times before it was clean enough for the Motor Pool Sgt.

Got an old XJ that could use a good scrubbing if you want relive the old days, it's even green:lol:

20180623_220007.jpg

OK, here's a little more. I hope to have this one finished soon.

Test fitting the windscreen gives it that classic Jeep silhouette. The ride height looks about right too.

WW_II_Jeep_05.thumb.jpg.16159834ed30e3f199b704e216600033.jpg

The flat finish paint I used gave me some concerns about the decals "silvering" . To reduce the chances of this happening, I masked the hood and sprayed a gloss clear coat to reduce the paint texture.

WW_II_Jeep_06.thumb.jpg.a595a6aced7ae843c7419bc4c2e9b405.jpg

It looks like the clear coat wasn't really needed. I'll probably forgo the clear for the hood stencils, if I decide to put them on.

WW_II_Jeep_08.thumb.jpg.95fd4189549bc1185fc56f8944b6fdc1.jpg

Say, does anyone else hear the theme from M*A*S*H?

WW_II_Jeep_07.thumb.jpg.3337397fcfd5065deddc62bd0d504909.jpg

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments.

David G.