Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1923 Model T Van - What a Mess!

Harpo

Just started the AMT860/12 Model T Delivery Van, and if this is "Round 2" then it must have been a knockout in 5 seconds.  I think they offset the mold halves by 1/32" then held them apart a bit for extra flash.  Virtually every part requires extensive trimming/refitting/straightening, and the instructions are vague  - and in at least one case simply wrong.  

I'll get it re-engineered, but it is a challenge I wasn't expecting.  Anyone else tried this kit?   

5b6739e53d25a_23Tbox.jpg.3bab12541f07f5df0321e2aedccae69f.jpg

Garry, your assessment of this kit is pretty accurate from my experience, as I attempted to build the Matchbox version a while ago and found the same issues.

Fortunately I had built the AMT Tall T and was able to use all the running gear and chassis under the original body. I was still underwhelmed by the finished model and it was soon packed away in a box.

I have been considering setting the body on the Lil John tourer chassis.....

53FC7BB8-F24C-4432-B736-5F94D662C36F.jpeg

DE244290-BDB6-476C-958B-EFEC47E9E2B5.jpeg

I realize AMT is not up to Tamiya standards, but this is the single-most ill-fitting mismolded mess I have ever encountered.  But strangely enough, it's not frustrating, just challenging.  I'm determined to make a presentable model out of this and I'm getting closer, but still lots of detail and touch-up to go!

5b7254161b13c_23Tgettingcloser.jpg.bba47cd4c73d4b663f90df502e1fcd10.jpg

I built the kit and felt the same way with the fitment but I powered through the build anyway. Built as a coal mine employee transport veichle... Maybe this can give you inspiration, hope you don't mind me posting... lookin forward to seein what you do with it... 

20180814_093238.jpg

20180814_093217.jpg

20180814_093132.jpg