Model Cars Magazine Forum

I need some Slixx Decal help

dragcarz

I’m trying to build the Trojan Horse Mustang Funny car, not the Mustang II, but the early 70s Black  Mustang that the Slixx decals are made for. I’m on my second set of decals and I cannot get the hood decal to conform to the hood shape. I’ve tried Microsol Decal Set but it’s not helping. Any suggestions?

12 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

I’m trying to build the Trojan Horse Mustang Funny car, not the Mustang II, but the early 70s Black  Mustang that the Slixx decals are made for. I’m on my second set of decals and I cannot get the hood decal to conform to the hood shape. I’ve tried Microsol Decal Set but it’s not helping. Any suggestions?

When you get it figured out I can't wait to see it.

7 hours ago, dragcarz said:

I cannot get the hood decal to conform to the hood shape. I’ve tried Microsol Decal Set but it’s not helping. Any suggestions?

I think it’ll be tough. Solvaset is really strong but those scoops are deep. I can’t imagine the decal can be made to stretch that much.  I had the same issue with Slixx LA Hooker decals.  I was luck to have paint the right color so I painted the hood stripes over the scoops, but it’s a simpler scheme than for “the horse.”

If you are trying to build the first black and purple Trojan Horse Mustang ( the one that won the 1972 World Finals in Amarillo ) the purple stripe does not cover the scoops on the hood, it ends just above the scoops ........ if you are building the later black version with the yellowish gold stripes on the side and hood, I would suggest you try Lou's method mentioned above

Horse1.jpg

Horse4.jpg

Also, in addition to the blow dryer suggestion and the Microsol, sometimes small relief cuts in the decal can also be of help depending on how irregular the surface shape is you are trying to cover. By “cuts”, I dont mean large, long ones, but just enough small ones with a new, sharp Xacto in the right areas to help the decal relax a bit after applying Microsol. That and a lot of gentle pushing down with the tip of a semi-wet Q-Tip. This being said, its never a bad idea to have a second sheet of the same decal if you need to do some minor patchwork by cutting out a small swatch of said stripe to help matters along in tough areas. That way youre not trying to get one large decal to conform to a smaller irregular area like a hood scoop like in the pic.  I’ve used that technique sucessfully before on several occasions and have gotten good results. You just want to avoid too much doubling of decals as that will make (say for example), a white stripe twice as white!...Or “brighter” if you get my drift. And of course plenty of patience with this technique will usually produce good results. As with just about anything, experiments and sometimes failures will produce positive experience that can be used in the future.

Good Luck!

Edited by Chi-Town Hustler

I’m on my second sheet of decals and after about 6 sessions with microsol, several q tips and an exacto blade, and the hair drier, I’m close. The hair drier idea is genius. I can’t get photos to load, but I have a little patch work or touch up to do. I’m hoping the clear coat will help also.

I did this one last year using the Slixx decals and had no problem. A little solv-a-set and I was in business. Not trying to rub it in or anything but to show that it can be done and to reinforce the notion that as a lot of us have found over the years that Slixx decals can be challenging at times and and others they are no problem. They have had some inconsistent batch runs throughout the years. Not to say that they are bad decals because they're not but every once in a while you can have two of the same decal and one goes on flawlessly while the other gives you fits. Keep at it and I'm sure you will be successful.

inoDr_AZAmPJ9OOG5cQ3qgZ4ooC_TG-vi.jpg

I learned long ago to buy two sets of decals, no matter who makes them this batch seemed thick and brittle but I’ve had them a long time, maybe age has something to do with it. Wayne and John, your builds look great. Keeps me from giving up on this one.