Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bulk spark plug wires

Depends. People seem to have forgotten that: before the rise of 8MM plug wires and High Energy Ignitions for 1975 the standard plug wire diameter over the insulation was 7MM.

To duplicate that in 1/25 scale the closest thing is 34AWG wrapping wire. And 34AWG insulated wire is not cheap.

7mm in 1/25 = .011" or .28 mm, in 1/24= .0117" or .292 mm

8mm in 1/25= .0125" or .32 mm, in 1/24= .013" or .333 mm

Most wires I see used on models are far larger than this. But in 1/24=1/25 scale, I wouldn't worry about the difference in size between 7 mm and 8 mm wires. 

Bare 30 AWG wire is 0.010" diameter.  A 30 AWG insulated wire wrapping wire has a total diameter (including insulation) of around 0.016".  That is useful for 7/8mm spark plug wires in 1:24/25 scales.  I have bunch of wire wrapping wire I bought from an electronic surplus vendor.  It has Kynar insulation which can be glued with CA glue.

2 hours ago, Belugawrx said:

And please sir , where did you get this wire..?

https://www.micronmeters.com/product/miniature-insulated-wire-34-awg-uaa-uba

I believe they have a 50 foot minimum. There are several colors, and they have 32 AWG as well. 34 AWG works perfectly with R&M of MD pre-drilled distributor caps.

Edited by Kit Basher

12 hours ago, Jantrix said:

This is 30 gauge wrapping wire. The insulation from a larger gauge for the boots. There are those that say 30 gauge is too big and not to scale. Mathematically they are correct. I think it looks good so I'm happy with it.

If you are trying to build an accurate model then  that wire (0.016" diameter) is a bit too large for factory stock wires. Bu it is a good representation of some high-performance wires used in hot rods, pro-street cars and such.

Edited by peteski

• 2 weeks later...

This is single strand, coated, 34 AWG

IMG_6454 (750x563).jpg

I like it,..I think after I touch up about 100 spots on the intakes and make some boots, I'll brush the leads with some Dullcoat,...done.

Thanks a ton for the link to  www.micronmeters.com  Kit Basher.

And Thanks to RandyD for setting me up with those beautiful distributors from Historic Racing Miniatures

ferrari 365 gtb4 daytona 31 740x494 - Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Competizione Conversion

Cheers

Edited by Belugawrx
forgot sumthin

• 3 weeks later...