Model Cars Magazine Forum

Senior citizen

I found this forum after checking out what was available on the website. 

I am a retired, 70 y/o retail sales manager.  Ex drag racer, ('60's), and model-maker  although the last one was about 55 years ago.

My original plan was to build pre-war cars such as the Toyoda AA.  I love that style vehicle.  While researching though, I realized that most all the cars I ever owned were classics and research would not be needed. They were my cars!  Since I grew up at the start of the muscle car era, and starting my 1st job to pay for a '69 Nova, a 396ci / 375hp, I think I'm ready.

Altough, technically, I had a '59 Corvette 283ci / 270hp before that so, my plan is to start there.

I hoping to learn a lot about detailing and painting here since the last model car I built was in the 50's.  Hope is the wrong term.  I know I will learn.

Welcome aboard from one old phhfft to another.  You have me by a year, but at our age numbers are relative.  Looking forward to seeing some of your builds.  I have been back in the hobby for a while now after a few years hiatus.  This site is a wealth of information.

Welcome to the forum where many of us are in your shoes. I've been retired 10 years which gave me time to do whatever I wanted leading to a model shop in the basement. I too take pleasure in building all the cars I've owned.

Welcome to the MCM forums Roger, and like you, I returned to this hobby after not building a kit for 50 years. This seems to be the case with many of the members on here, so I guess we must be in our second childhood! You will find lots of friendly helpful people on these forums, with a huge amount of information and tips to help you with future builds. My area of interest is mainly the Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars from 1955 to 1959 and also 1925 to 1938, but I like to build most types of scale model cars, which would include American cars too. If you get chance to have a quick look at my diorama, it is in the Dioramas section and called the Hooper & Co diorama 1958.

David

Welcome on board Rodger! I share your passion for muscle cars but in a bit different way. I was a kid growing up in the '60's and '70's when these cars were new, so I could only look (and hear) them coming and going up and down the street. While I wouldn't know what many of them were till I was in high school in the mid '70's, I always thought they were the coolest cars! Actually I have a bit of a passion for the '50's finned freeway flyers as they were pretty much the first cars I ever saw when I first knew what a car was.

So yeah........post away when the time comes to start your first project! Any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Someone here is bound to have an answer for you. ;)

Roger...welcome aboard!  Like you I am an "older" model builder, 77 last birthday and got back into this hobby about 20 years ago after a long time away from it.  I found a kit of the first car I owned that got me started.... a 53 Studebaker.  I bought the car for $225 in April 1957 when I got my driver's license and have been fortunate to find kits of many of the cars I have owned over the years.

As many have stated, you will find a tremendous trove of information here on the forum (and many ways to do the same thing as well), but probably the best advice is to just get building, learn as you go along and don't be hesitant to strip the paint and start over.  For starters I would recommend using Google as your first search for info.  It will provide you tube videos and lead you to other search results, even Model Car Magazine articles and topics of conversation.

• 2 weeks later...