Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Scale 1974 San Paolo Bros. Spaghetti Bender Front Engine Dragster - UPDATED 8/19/2018

Mooneyzs

Alright Fellas... Now that 1/16th Scale Army Funny Car is done I figured that it was time to unveil my next build I am going to start.  This build and a couple others I have been thinking about building have a sentimental valve to me. I have been planning them since I have been in the middle of the funny car build. A few people here have know that I grew up around a dragster team. My Mom, Dad and I used to be part of the pit crew for the San Paolo Bros. Spaghetti Bender Top Alcohol Dragster. The Tracks we typically went to was Fremont (Baylands) Raceway,  Orange County Raceway, Pomona, Bakersfield Raceway, Sacramento Raceway, Sears Point Raceway (Now called Sonoma Raceway), Ontario and I believe maybe Irwindale Raceway. Pretty much up and down California although Fremont was our home track. We were involved from the early 70's to mid 80's and it is where the love of drag racing came for me. I was 7 months old at my first drags and believe it was at Bakersfield Raceway.

As a kid I specifically remember 2 of the Rear engine dragsters the most and they are the two I have been wanting to build. Well the last time I went home to visit my parents my mom had found another photo Album with one of the Front Engine Dragsters that was raced before I was born. After seeing the pics of it I just knew that this was the one that I needed to build first. The pictures that I have are from 1974 and ran in the Pro Comp Class Supercharged on gas. So since then I have been searching the web trying to find any more pics of all of the dragsters that I can. I figured the more reference I could find It couldn't hurt. So if anyone has any pictures by chance that wouldn't mind sharing or sending to me, I would be appreciative of it. Anyway here are a few pictures of what this Front Engine Dragster looks like. Now I was able to find a couple of pictures from Skidmark Johnson searching online, one was of the dragster when it ran a 392 Supercharged on Gas and the other was when they switch to a blown Alcohol Donovan 417. I think this is going to be a really fun build to do and I am going to have a blast with it. Here is the dragster.....

This was the FED Blown Alcohol Donovan 417:

2v2J4zEPgxAhe9C.jpg

Here is the 392 Hemi Iron block Blown on Gas That ran in Pro Comp:

2v2Jng8zqxAhe9C.jpg

Here is a Pic that my Mom took in 1974 at Sears Point Raceway:

2v2HjpMvLxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hey Chris,

Congats on finishing the Snake Vega. I enjoyed every post. The finished product is remarkable

I seem to have a faint memory of a rebuild of a Spaghetti Benders FED in an old issue of Street Rodder. The body was blue and some of it was gold. I used it a reference material about 15 years ago. 

Here is a pic of it sitting in the NHRA museum. I hope it is the same one you were looking for. It does not seem to sit has high in the back as your sample.

748_500_csupload_56378510-vi.jpg

Scott

Edited by Scott Colmer

7 hours ago, Scott Colmer said:

Hey Chris,

Congats on finishing the Snake Vega. I enjoyed every post. The finished product is remarkable

I seem to have a faint memory of a rebuild of a Spaghetti Benders FED in an old issue of Street Rodder. The body was blue and some of it was gold. I used it a reference material about 15 years ago. 

Here is a pic of it sitting in the NHRA museum. I hope it is the same one you were looking for. It does not seem to sit has high in the back as your sample.

748_500_csupload_56378510-vi.jpg

Scott

This is the car they ran in the early 60's 

Scott... thank you very much. You reminded me that I ran across a website that had some pics of that restored car. I need to go find it again. I also found I think 2 old black and white pics of this specific car you posted. I definitely know it's their car because of the shape of the fuel tank. I just never remembered that car or ever saw pics of it as a kid. Then again I wasnt even thought of in the late 60's lol

Chris... thanks.

Jesse... thanks for the reminder and it makes sense as to a couple of pics I found but I never remembered ever seeing pics of it. That car also had a shorter wheelbase than the front engine pics inhad found of what I posted.

Lee.... thank you so much. I am super excited to be starting this build. Even though I wasnt around when they ran this one. I figured there wasnt as much to do compared to the rear engine cars. And fingers crossed hope I can knock it out pretty quick.

Ray... thank you so much. To be honest I would like to put the same level of detail into this one because of the meaning if the car to me.

Brad... Thank you so much. This is going to be a fun build to do. I have been wanting to start these dragsters for some time now. 

John Pol... Thank you very much. I sure hope this project doesn't take me 4 years to complete...lol I feel I learned so much from the funny car that just hopefully knock on wood that I dont have many set backbacks but I know certain things that I need to address first so I dont run into issues. Then I won't have to go back and redo everything like I did on the F/C. My thought is that I get a good plan to follow from the start. 

John... thank you my friend. You know how excited I have been to finally be able to start this build. Hopefully with the game plan it will go smoothly. 

Jason... thank you. I cant wait to get going on this one. 

This looks like a fantastic subject and knowing the personal element, I know it will get the "Sobak" treatment.  btw, what scale Chris?   I know you said you're doing a brass chassis too this time......oh yeah!   cheers

Tim... Thank you very much. It's going to be a fun build and especially with the personal element will make it even a better build that I will enjoy. I am planning on making this in 1/16th scale and yes I am going to take a stab at the chassis in brass. You and Clay have inspired me for sure to go the brass route.

Marty... Thank you so much for the kind words. I am looking forward to getting this one going.

Randy...  Thanks Buddy!! I am super excited to tackle this in brass. I think it should be fun... I will let you know later... haha. I am hoping that since there is minimal body work as you mentioned that this build won't take me forever to build...lol

Dave... Thank you very much my friend. You know I was itching to get a start on this one. Should be a fun one for sure. It was great to catch up with you earlier today, I always enjoy our chats.

Hello Fellas....  Well I have gotten a start on the design of the chassis. I ended up working on it for most of the Afternoon correcting the chassis since I wasn't looking quite right. Anyway now that I have it fixed, the chassis is a 168" wheelbase. I have gotten a start on the 392 Iron Block along with a Bell Housing and Lenco shifter. I need to get a move on the rear end so that I can get the placement of it lined up with the motor that way I know where rear end mount needs to be in the chassis. Once I have the rear end drawn up, I think that then I could get a start on the chassis fabrication. Anyway here are a few pics of what the chassis is looking like.

Here is an Isometric view of the chassis:

2v2a321FqxAhe9C.jpg

Side View:

2v2a321dFxAhe9C.jpg

Top View:

2v2a321qnxAhe9C.jpg

Edited by Mooneyzs

Lee... Thank you. I know this is not a normal way to build a model but with all of the issues I had with the funny car with things not lining up properly or having to go back and redo things multiple times. I am hoping that this will allow me to get things lined up properly from the beginning and  will make the build go faster. There is a little design time up front but it should save alot of headaches down the road :lol:.

Mike... I am lucky in that I use Solidworks at work and have a laptop that I can take home.