Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 512BB rememberance build....99% done

Dann Tier

Hey, everyone!, while I was re-organizing, and adding more shelves to the modelroom, I came across this model that I had given to a friend to be his first build. Not wanting to get into it too much, but he's not around anymore, so I decided that i'm going to finish it for him. The only thing I've done so far, is add some Tamiya panel line paint, but the really hard thing for me is to NOT cut the very simplistic seats out, and make them more realistic.....I have to resist..lol here it is before I start....

DSCF6305.JPG

DSCF6308.JPG

DSCF6309.JPG

DSCF6310.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

The rear taillight panel was jammed in there, my friend didn't sand it enough to fit in properly, so even though I carefully scored around it with my Olfa, it took chunks of paint off. I carefully sanded it smooth, then put a good amount of super glue over to act as a glazing putty. After that, I kolored the area to be sanded , with a sharpie so that I can make sure its repaired properly. I used Tamiya panel line accent on all the vents, and just a hint on the leading edge of the head lamps.

DSCF6502.JPG

DSCF6503.JPG

DSCF6504.JPG

DSCF6505.JPG

2 hours ago, Italianhorses said:

Great color, but IMO metallic grain is way out of scale, maybe just looks that way in the pictures.

Terrific paintjob though!

Thanks, Alex!, its a favorite of mine. I wish I could tell my friend that you like it, but he's not around anymore. Its not the photos, the flake IS out of scale for a "stock" version of this, or most cars. I will be using this kolor on my Pagani. As long as there is "real" automotive paint that has large flakes in it......and there IS, technically its NOT out of scale.  I am not a purist by ANY means, and I VERY RARELY build anything replica stock. Modelling to me, is being given the chance to change the things that I don't like about a particular car. If we cant do that here, then whats the point?  To me, you're the Ferrari Guy....LOVE your builds!!  Me?, i'm the self-proclaimed Lamborghini Guy.....its pretty cool I think!  You probably wont like my Ferrari builds very much, since I REFUSE to paint them red...lol, but each to their own. I have just as big a Ferrari stable as I do a Lamborghini stable.  lol

18 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thanks, Alex!, its a favorite of mine. I wish I could tell my friend that you like it, but he's not around anymore. Its not the photos, the flake IS out of scale for a "stock" version of this, or most cars. I will be using this kolor on my Pagani. As long as there is "real" automotive paint that has large flakes in it......and there IS, technically its NOT out of scale.  I am not a purist by ANY means, and I VERY RARELY build anything replica stock. Modelling to me, is being given the chance to change the things that I don't like about a particular car. If we cant do that here, then whats the point?  To me, you're the Ferrari Guy....LOVE your builds!!  Me?, i'm the self-proclaimed Lamborghini Guy.....its pretty cool I think!  You probably wont like my Ferrari builds very much, since I REFUSE to paint them red...lol, but each to their own. I have just as big a Ferrari stable as I do a Lamborghini stable.  lol

Nah, you do you, don't listen to me! 

• Dann Tier changed the title to Ferrari 512BB rememberance build....99% done