Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fast Pack Gran Prix

Hi all, I was at the route 127 yard sales this past weekend and picked up about 14 kits! This one seems unusual as I don't recall seeing one before. It's an MPC 1970 Gran Prix called a fast pack. It looks like an  Unassembled promo with maybe a different chasssis . It has plastic wheels with ridges and they are mounted to bushings that allow them to spin very freely. I was curious if any knows more about this and if there were any other kits done this way. It looks like they were taking old tooling and going for beginner/toy kits that could be played with! Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

A snapper kit made while the body section of the mold was configured to run Dealer Promos.

Obviously meant to be played with like an oversized Hot Wheels car.

They did the 1970 GTO in this fashion. Not sure if there are any others.

XZnBUzw.jpg

Edited by Rat Roaster

9 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

This is unusual.

I have never seen this kit before.

Now the tough question.

Do you leave it as is because of the rarity?

Or do you cut the hood open & do a chassis & engine swap?

Hmmm, that's a tough one! :P

Steve

I thought about that and was thinking the AMT 70 Monte Carlo would be a good chassis engine bay area. Its sometimes tough weather to build a kit or keep it as a collector piece. What usually happens is I start looking for a second kit!

This does'nt have any rubber in it, I will check the directions cause I thought it was strange to just have plastic wheels. I guess I might start looking for the GTO!!!

The 1970 GTO is one of my all time favorite cars as I had two 1:1's when I was younger and I generally try and get those when ever I see them!!

11 hours ago, fordf-100 said:

Hi all, I was at the route 127 yard sales this past weekend and picked up about 14 kits! This one seems unusual as I don't recall seeing one before. It's an MPC 1970 Gran Prix called a fast pack. It looks like an  Unassembled promo with maybe a different chasssis . It has plastic wheels with ridges and they are mounted to bushings that allow them to spin very freely. I was curious if any knows more about this and if there were any other kits done this way. It looks like they were taking old tooling and going for beginner/toy kits that could be played with! Let me know what you guys think!

IMG_2538.JPG

IMG_2539.JPG

IMG_2540.JPG

IMG_2541.JPG

IMG_2542.JPG

I wish I had your luck...LOL... This is one I had from my childhood days the storm took from me sadly...I have fond memories of it.

5 hours ago, ss2000 said:

I’ve seen a ‘70 Corvette in this series also.

I'll have to look out for that one also! I guess these were done around or shortly after 1970 since they all seem to be 70's. I could not find any year  on the instructions or on the box as to when it may have been made.

The Corvette is probably a ('69) Dyno Racer.  Same idea, except the cars were pre-assembled and included a "launcher".  That series included a 'Vette, a Firebird, and a GTO.  The reissued '69 GTO funny car kits have "DYNO" on the rear license plate because the body was used for both.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

The Corvette is probably a ('69) Dyno Racer.  Same idea, except the cars were pre-assembled and included a "launcher".  That series included a 'Vette, a Firebird, and a GTO.  The reissued '69 GTO funny car kits have "DYNO" on the rear license plate because the body was used for both.

Yep, you’re correct, I thought fast pack didn’t sound right.

48 minutes ago, pack rat said:

Here's a '69 Vette Dyno Racer

DSCN6540.JPG

DSCN6542.JPG

It looks like a die cast chassis, I have never seen any of those, are the wheels and tires plastic? That's pretty cool but if they came with a launcher I bet a lot of them didn't last long in one piece!

3 hours ago, bbowser said:

That's a huge score!  Those GP kits and promos go for big $$, I've been looking for some time.

Yeah it was as I got this a 77 Pontiac Ventura a 77 Dodge Monaco with the mini bike , both sealed and an ertl international semi that was unbuilt for $90 for all!