Model Cars Magazine Forum

pricing at swap meet/show

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

Always remember: Nobody comes to pay full retail price for anything! If they wanted to do that, they could stay home and buy it on Amazon.

I have also found terrific deals on model cars at train shows, full size car swap meets or collector shows dealing with topics other than model cars. Since models or cars aren't their main interest, they don't want model cars cluttering up their collections and will price them to get rid of them.

I find this to be true at train shows but real car swaps, not so much. The prices tend to be in the stratosphere and they won't haggle. We all know NASCAR kits are kinda bargain basement things for most modellers but here in Wisconsin God forbid it be an Alan Kulwicki kit. The cheesers worship at the altar of Kulwicki and price accordingly. Kenseth and Danica kits are heading that way too. (Danica was born in Wisconsin but lived in Illinois.)

5 hours ago, lordairgtar said:

I find this to be true at train shows but real car swaps, not so much. The prices tend to be in the stratosphere and they won't haggle. We all know NASCAR kits are kinda bargain basement things for most modellers but here in Wisconsin God forbid it be an Alan Kulwicki kit. The cheesers worship at the altar of Kulwicki and price accordingly. Kenseth and Danica kits are heading that way too. (Danica was born in Wisconsin but lived in Illinois.)

Yes, there are the fanatics. But regular sellers just want to move product, they tend to price according to how much it interests themselves. If they like it a lot - "Cha-ching". If they are indifferent - "bargain deal". There are deals at the car shows, sometimes you just have to keep looking. I found a seller that had a bunch of 70s promos for $10 apiece. I picked up two '78 Volare promos from him. 1 blue and 1 orange, mint in the boxes. I would have bought more but that was all I had with me at the time.

Can't be said enough... 'PRICE EVERYTHING!"   If you don't have prices on kits, people will assume you want too much and won't ask!

And price them on peelable labels... even if you have to buy them!  I know one goob who was having a broke sale... he priced everything on the box front with a Sharpie in large letters!  He couldn't figure out why nobody wanted to buy his stuff.