Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I get rid of polishing compound residue in panel lines?

This is part 2 of a question I originally posted in October of last year:

I've been getting great results using Tamiya Polishing compounds but now I have a new problem. The polish gets stuck in the panel lines on the model and is very difficult and laborious to get rid of. I've tried scraping with a back of a #11 blade, picking it out with a sharp tooth pick, etc. Is there a way to wash or dissolve it out that you have found successful? Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanx,
B.

Edited by Bernard Kron

1 minute ago, Can-Con said:

I just hold the body under in a sink full of water and scrub the lines out with an old toothbrush.

That or I use the fine point Tamiya swabs with water to scour it out.  Watch out with Alcohol (even 70%) if you have A lacquer paint job, particularly Tamiya or Testors.

I use a microfiber cloth(I get them as cleanup rags at Costco) and a spray bottle of 50%  90% alcohol and 50% distilled water.  This dilution won't harm Tamiya lacquers and long as you don't soak it in it overnight.  The microfiber cloth gets down in the seams to clean it out.  I also use the same mixture to give my models a quick clean before putting them on the table at contests.  Takes fingerprints right off. 

5 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

I've tried raping with a back of a #11 blade,

You can get into trouble with that method. You can use a worn out toothbrush and gently scrub the panel lines under cold running water. The residue will come off easily.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

You can get into trouble with that method. You can use a worn out toothbrush and gently scrub the panel lines under cold running water. The residue will come off easily.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

Or even better, a new toothbrush and warm running water. Been doing it this way for years. You might have to do it more than once. Some of the stuff seems to "disappear" while you're scrubbing only to reappear later when it all dries. 

Thanks for all the answers! It seemed like such a basic question but it really needed to be answered, especially after going to the trouble of laying down and polishing out a good quality paint job. I landed up using most of the techniques you all suggested. Soaking the body in soapy water goes a long way towards softening and floating away the bulk of the residue. Then most of what little is left can be removed using a soft used tooth brush, followed by careful work with a toothpick. I did notice, however, that to really get the panel lines "tight", clean and sharp you should probably prep them by deepening them before applying paint. I noticed that the plastic in the grooves can be irregular in depth and would benefit to some evening out with the back of a #11 right at the start. Anyway the result of your advice worked out just fine. Thanks again!

B.

2 hours ago, Bernard Kron said:

I did notice, however, that to really get the panel lines "tight", clean and sharp you should probably prep them by deepening them before applying paint. I noticed that the plastic in the grooves can be irregular in depth and would benefit to some evening out with the back of a #11 right at the start.

Yup. Been preaching it for years. It's tedious work, but once done, it looks good forever.