Model Cars Magazine Forum

dremels

really strange question, I use a Dremel with a flex shaft. if anyone else uses this setup, where in tarnation do you put the Dremel? I have mine on my bench and I end up dragging it all over the place, or it vibrated off. if I hang it, its either too high to turn on. if I hang it lower, it gets in the way. plus, at certain angles, the flex shaft stops turning. what to do.... what am I doing wrong?

signed,

depressed Dremel.

19 hours ago, Khils said:

Sorry Al....can't say I feel your pain.....I splurged & bought cordless.  Best dip in the hobby fund ever!

That's the ticket. Nothing beats the convenience of a cordless tool. I have a regular tool with a flex shaft which I use when the Dremel Micro is charging. I hang it from a cup hook screwed into the desk 

I always find my Dremel runs too fast (yeah I know I need a speed control).  So I picked up a battery powered tool from a resin kit site for about $6.  It comes with bits that just plug into the end of it and it spins slowly enough that it doesn't melt plastic.  It's cheaply made, but I can afford to replace it when it breaks.  :)

I use the flex shaft on a variable speed Dremel, and I love it. Mine hangs from the ceiling just to the side of my bench. The Dremel has a metal bail attached to the back end if it. I have a piece of lightweight chain attached to the bail and the other end attached to a screw hook in the ceiling. When using the Dremel, it is hanging from the chain. When not in use, the bail itself is hanging from the screw hook. When not used for a long time, the working end of the flax shaft is stuffed into the screw hook also, which stows it well out of the way.

I have tried the Stand that kitbash1 suggested and while it works well mine now serves as a hanger for my air brush. Not sure of your lighting situation, but I use a large magnifying / light that clamps on the corner of my work bench. The base has an electrical outlet and that is where my Dremel is plugged in.  The Dremel has a metal loop on the end where the electrical cord meets the motor. My Dremel cord has a raised notched affair on the plug and the loop fits perfectly. It is as if they designed it for this purpose.   

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 Dremels. I use one handheld while the  other one  has a flex shaft attached.  I then hung  it on a home-made stand.  Went to Home Depot and bought piece of electrical conduit, a 90 degree elbow and some coupling pieces.  I then used 2 conduit brackets to mount the vertical piece to the shelf on my bench. The Dremel is suspended by a chain threaded into the conduit. It is held in the conduit by a removable pin made from a pip-rivet.  That way I can easily adjust the height of the setup.  The photos shows that setup on a very rare occasion when my workbench was just cleaned.

DSCN1766.thumb.JPG.06acfeede681a31687aa2728877cddb1.JPG

Edited by peteski

• 4 months later...