Model Cars Magazine Forum

Flat Head finned head ?

I bought some really nice knea from Model Car Garage a while back. I went to buy more recently and they were gone. I emailed about them and he said the Model A engine parts were not available at the moment due to retooling, but they are definitely coming back. I think he said within the next several weeks 

The fins on them on very delicate, I would order 2-3 sets to be sure you get 1 perfect set. Not ideal but worth it. They have acorn nut details molded in

42 minutes ago, Quick GMC said:

I bought some really nice knea from Model Car Garage a while back. I went to buy more recently and they were gone. I emailed about them and he said the Model A engine parts were not available at the moment due to retooling, but they are definitely coming back. I think he said within the next several weeks 

The fins on them on very delicate, I would order 2-3 sets to be sure you get 1 perfect set. Not ideal but worth it. They have acorn nut details molded in

Thanks I will check them out

I like the detail on the MCG heads a lot, but if building a Revell based flathead, they are a little big for the block.  The Revell 40 Ford Street Rod has Edelbrock heads similar to the above and the '48 Ford Custom Coupe has finned Navarro heads.

Edited by Mr. Muppet

On 8/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, Quick GMC said:

The MCG pieces are beautiful, but I believe are intended to use on 1/24 flatheads. Normally, I don't care about swapping parts between scales, but these are obviously oversized when you put them on a 1/25 flathead. They can be made to work with a little clever sanding and shimming.

Rep+Min of MD has quite a few beautiful flathead parts, including heads

On 8/17/2018 at 12:00 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

The MCG pieces are beautiful, but I believe are intended to use on 1/24 flatheads. Normally, I don't care about swapping parts between scales, but these are obviously oversized when you put them on a 1/25 flathead. They can be made to work with a little clever sanding and shimming.

Rep+Min of MD has quite a few beautiful flathead parts, including heads

I have several sets of the MCG heads, too, but they are HUGE! They don't even fit 1:24 flatheads correctly. For example, the finned heads from the 1:24 '40 Pickup kit are the same size footprint as any of the Revell 1:25 finned flatheads. I can't bring myself to use them on anything.

MCG also offers several dual carburetor flathead intakes and they actually fit pretty good and they are very nicely done. 

On 8/19/2018 at 11:35 AM, Dennis Lacy said:

I have several sets of the MCG heads, too, but they are HUGE! They don't even fit 1:24 flatheads correctly. For example, the finned heads from the 1:24 '40 Pickup kit are the same size footprint as any of the Revell 1:25 finned flatheads. I can't bring myself to use them on anything.

MCG also offers several dual carburetor flathead intakes and they actually fit pretty good and they are very nicely done. 

Good to know, I just assumed since they were so big on a 1/25 engine they were meant for 1/24. Shame, because they are beautifully molded, and offer brands not offered anywhere else(to my knowledge)