Model Cars Magazine Forum

Salt potatoes and model boxes, more in common than you thought....

tbill

So, I’m cooking dinner this evening, and part of that is a bag of salt potatoes.  As I look around for a pot to do the taters in, I find myself using a not quite adequate pot, but I decide to soldier on. I get the taters in the pot, and add water, ok, all taters are covered in water, so on the stove the pot goes. Now, at this point, you’re thinking, big deal, you’re making salt potatoes, how can this possibly relate to model building,......,wait for it, it will all become crystal clear,....

after a few minutes, the pot begins to boil, so I keep an eye on it, and check the progress of the ‘cooking’, it’s looking good so far. 

Here is where this random topic starts to make sense......., I decide it’s time to stir what’s in the pot......, all of a sudden, I have too many potatoes in the pot, I have stragglers above the water line! Panic ensues, and I have to keep stirring to keep dinner under water.

now, I posted this because awhile ago I decided to rearrange my model kits, and much like the potato debacle, once I stirred up the boxes, nothing fit on the shelves again......., I seemed to lose shelf space, much like I lost space in the pot with the taters. 

Just thought it was funny, your mileage may vary?

Well by golly, I thought they were a universal thing.  What they are, are small white potatoes with a thin skin, you boil them, and add heart attack inducing amounts of salt into the boil, then when done, add a ton of butter on top of them. Theyre quite good! 

I hope you are aware of Hoffman hot dogs.....

19 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Sounds a lot like what we call "boiled potatoes" around here! :D

Nope, never heard of a Hoffman hot dog either, but 2 can play at this game.

Ever heard of "Knoephla Soup", "Kuchen" or "Cass Knoephla"?

Steve

Lol, I have not, nor do I think I can pronounce them properly?

Knoephla are dumplings and kase knoephla have cheese inside, not dissimilar to Polish pierogi, just a bit smaller. Kuchen is the German word for cake. It covers everything from pies filled with fruits or custard to sheet cakes. Us Polaks make similar pastries. Some Jewish versions are rugelach (the chocolate ones are the best), lekach a honey sweetend gingerbread. The Jewish goods I get at the remaining old time kosher bakeries left in the city.

4 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Knoephla are dumplings and kase knoephla have cheese inside, not dissimilar to Polish pierogi, just a bit smaller. Kuchen is the German word for cake. It covers everything from pies filled with fruits or custard to sheet cakes. Us Polaks make similar pastries. Some Jewish versions are rugelach (the chocolate ones are the best), lekach a honey sweetend gingerbread. The Jewish goods I get at the remaining old time kosher bakeries left in the city.

I'm impressed Joe!

Yes, Knoephla are a dense dumpling, usually small and used in soup with potatoes & cream.

Kase Knoephla are like a Pierogi, but actually the ones my mother made were much larger.

Usually rectangular shaped about 6 inches long and maybe 4 inches wide.

They are filled with dry curd cottage cheese, onions & eggs.

Usually boiled & either made into a soup, or fried after boiling.

The Kuchen is a pastry about the same size and shape as a pie, but the crust is a lot like a sweet roll dough.

The filling is basically a custard consisting of eggs, cream, sugar & cinnamon, but there can be all kinds of fruits added.

Traditionally prunes or apricots, but I've seen everything from strawberries to peaches although they are not traditionally German/Russian.

My favorite is cheese which is the custard filling with dry curd cottage cheese.

Tastes a great deal like a cheese danish.

Check out the "What did you have for dinner" thread a little later.

Tonight I attempted, (although not entirely successfully) to make a traditional German/Russian dish that I grew up with.

Steve

I've been cooking since I was thirteen. I came home one day and asked my mother what was for dinner. She saw I made a face when she told me and said, "Well, you have two damned hands, cook something yourself." Been at it for 45 years. I taught my old German friend who owns a gasthaus how to make New York-style sandwiches, heroes and pizza. First and foremost.............NO AMERICAN CHEESE ON ANYTHING! :D 

The other half burns water and cooks like Lisa Douglas. Junior would starve if he depended on her lack of cooking skills.

12 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

The other half burns water and cooks like Lisa Douglas. Junior would starve if he depended on her lack of cooking skills.

Well then you sure got a lot a spare roof shingles. Back on topic. I had those salted potatoes, and yes they are great indeed. My oldest sister was married to a fella who was Italian, and lived near Syrcuse Ny. We had them when we went there one summer to visit my sister and her now Ex-Husband for a week.

1 hour ago, SfanGoch said:

I've been cooking since I was thirteen. I came home one day and asked my mother what was for dinner. She saw I made a face when she told me and said, "Well, you have two damned hands, cook something yourself." Been at it for 45 years. I taught my old German friend who owns a gasthaus how to make New York-style sandwiches, heroes and pizza. First and foremost.............NO AMERICAN CHEESE ON ANYTHING! :D 

I was always very excited to come home for dinner when I was young.

My mother cooked nothing fancy.

It was all very basic "comfort food", but she was very good at it.

I owe all of my love for food to her.

I would hang out in the kitchen while she cooked & quietly absorb everything she did.

Now I thoroughly enjoy experimenting & cooking things that she would never have dreamed of trying herself.

But there are times when I find that urge to return to those simple times & try to replicate those basic recipes that she had learned to prepare from her mother.

Most times I fail miserably, but the basic flavor is there & it takes me back.

Steve

27 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I owe all of my love for food to her.

I owe my not wasting food to my parents. They spent WWII in German labor camps and any kind of food was almost impossible to come by. Waste not, want not. The non-cooking ball and chain thinks it's beneath her to eat leftovers.

4 minutes ago, ranma said:

Left overs are sometimes better than then they were the first time around. leftovers that come to mind are Pizza , meatloaf, and chili......

Especially something like chili.

I think it's pretty safe to say that most slow cooked, one pot dishes are always better leftover.

I make a pot of Swiss steak occasionally that is nothing more than round steak with onions and tomatoes cooked it a dutch oven for several hours.

It's always better the next day.

letting the flavors meld for a period of time makes it much tastier.

I recently brought home some leftover mixed fajitas from a local Mexican restaurant.

A couple of days later I warmed it up.

I really don't remember it being that good in the restaurant!! :)

Steve