Model Cars Magazine Forum

World's fastest piston powered vehicle

Wow, this is really awesome!!!

It"s quite a fete for the jet and rocket powered vehicles to reach their 600-700 mph speeds but this is really an amazing accomplishment for a piston engined wheel driven car. Congratulations to Danny and his crew.

Sorry, he doesn't have the record. He's not even close. 

World record for piston-powered vehicles was set last year--531.53 mph, by Steve Hinton Jr, in Voodoo, a highly modified WWII P-51D Mustang powered by a Packard Merlin V-12.

Now if you meant world's fastest piston-powered land vehicle, then yes, he's the fastest on land. And good for him--gotta love a success story! B) Respect! 

Edited by Snake45

43 minutes ago, LDO said:

What was the highest speed he reached?

450.9 mph 

https://jalopnik.com/danny-thompsons-challenger-ii-set-the-piston-driven-lan-1828282279

Been following for to years now, and bought the t-shirt a few years ago to throw a (very) little support behind the effort. This year, salt conditions were right, so happy to see this finally happened. Hopefully the Thompson family and team were able to fully enjoy the moment. :)

On 12/08/2018 at 7:47 PM, Snake45 said:

Sorry, he doesn't have the record. He's not even close. 

World record for piston-powered vehicles was set last year--531.53 mph, by Steve Hinton Jr, in Voodoo, a highly modified WWII P-51D Mustang powered by a Packard Merlin V-12.

Now if you meant world's fastest piston-powered land vehicle, then yes, he's the fastest on land. And good for him--gotta love a success story! B) Respect! 

Well Spits used to go semi-sonic in a dive, my dad told me his experience of that. Gravity assisted, and a few prop planes could do the same. But yes, Respect! I 

I seem to remember reading in the Mickey Thompson biography Challenger that the incredible air resistance at those speeds could actually induce wheel spin. It was part of a discussion about how Mickey didn't believe that it was possible for a 2-wheel-drive vehicle to exceed 400 MPH. Maybe it was in Speed Duel. Wheel spin at 400 MPH sounds like a thrill!

3 hours ago, DonW said:

Well Spits used to go semi-sonic in a dive, my dad told me his experience of that. Gravity assisted, and a few prop planes could do the same. But yes, Respect! I 

I believe it was the prop tips that went supersonic. Not in the least a good thing.