Model Cars Magazine Forum

2014 Daytona 500 Winner

Jim N

I started this one over a year ago and then lost the ambition to finish it.  I started it back up about 2 months ago and now it's done.  It is a Revell snapper, with Powerslide decals.  The paint is Duplicolor Linen White.  The decals went on well, but the red on the lower part of the body is a decal and it has started to peel away from the bottom of the fenders.  This is particularly evident on the passenger side.  I usually clear coat the body, but with the foil numbers, I didn't want to ruin those decals as a clear coat can turn the foil black.  So I took some Elmer's glue and brushed it along the bottom of the decals to try to keep them from peeling any more.  Since the winner's flag decal is on the car, it represents the car after the race.  For the rest of the car, I lowered the front and rear for a more realistic stance.  I also trimmed down the steel axles and sanded the wheel backs so the tires fit is the wheel wells better.  I added some sheet plastic to the bottom of the doors to extend them a little for the speedway look.  While the model was sitting, the tires mysteriously disappeared, so I got some of the old Monogram tires out of the parts box and had to do quite a bit of massaging to get them to fit.  This in turn required me to cut out some "brake rotors" and fit them to the back of the wheels.  Since the kit tires have the backs filled in, I had to add these to provide a more realistic appearance.  Finally, I scratch built the shark fin.  Overall, I think it turned out pretty good.  Thanks for looking.

image.png.0b62fed098de80001d302411abaec190.png

image.png.9b41f4d4d89ed3bc28331b14219898b3.png

image.png.a84fd53cb27038c78f9e630cfe7eff68.png

image.png.4aaf79f201c0315f8aaea8e171b22bf4.png

image.png.dc45ba87f2d8bf3f559973367dc6f370.png

image.png.0246c82eab67400523a9a9ee880fd1e4.png

Excellent job, Jim. That is a great decal sheet. Next time you need a decal to stay down try future using a brush just on that decal. Of course it goes by a totally different name. Now its called "Pledge Revive it floor gloss" and the bottle is brown and yellow. There was a story about it in the latest scale auto.

3 hours ago, MarkJ said:

Excellent job, Jim. That is a great decal sheet. Next time you need a decal to stay down try future using a brush just on that decal. Of course it goes by a totally different name. Now its called "Pledge Revive it floor gloss" and the bottle is brown and yellow. There was a story about it in the latest scale auto.

Thanks for the kind words everybody.  I appreciate it.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark.  I actually thought about using Future, but the peeling was getting seriously bad where I thought the decals may start peeling from the sides of the body.  I went with the Elmer's as I thought it might have a bit more holding power.  The red decals seem to have stabilized.  It's too bad the decals have this problem because it is such a beautiful set.

I read about the name change for Future too.  I don't know how Johnson and Johnson can keep this item relevant as they seem to change the name every 18 - 24 months. 

3 hours ago, Jim N said:

Thanks for the kind words everybody.  I appreciate it.

Thanks for the suggestion Mark.  I actually thought about using Future, but the peeling was getting seriously bad where I thought the decals may start peeling from the sides of the body.  I went with the Elmer's as I thought it might have a bit more holding power.  The red decals seem to have stabilized.  It's too bad the decals have this problem because it is such a beautiful set.

I read about the name change for Future too.  I don't know how Johnson and Johnson can keep this item relevant as they seem to change the name every 18 - 24 months. 

So far, I have never seen one of the decals I installed, lift, that I futured. I love the stuff, because I have never seen future ruin, or discolor any decal, I have installed.  Again, Beautiful job on the model.