Model Cars Magazine Forum

"The Stig Collection" -Cobra 427

Dann Tier

This is my fully detailed, customized Revell Cobra 427. There is so much that I did to this, so heres a few things; I replaced the hood scoop for a Fujimi one, I made the windscreen frame from aluminum, and SB the mirror Brackets. The side pipes are made from aluminum tubing, and the jack-points are photo-etch. The interior has real black lacquered wood, and the seats are modified Lotus Esprit seats. I put Pirrelli PZero tyres from a Tamiya Ferrari F40 kit, and the wheel centers have real cotter-pins in the spindles.

DSCF6353.JPG

DSCF6354.JPG

DSCF6356.JPG

DSCF6357.JPG

DSCF6358.JPG

DSCF6359.JPG

3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Nice Dann!  What is your secret to the seats again?  I can't remember, do you spray Duplicolor from the can on the body?  What clear coat?  Just amazing work as always!

Thank you again, Chris!, the seats come from A Monogram Lotus Esprit kit with the headrests chopped off, and I spray Duplicolor right from the can!.....I used their clear on this Cobra, and I NEVER polish my bodies.

1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Another outstanding build.  I am with you on the windshield frame, one of the biggest distractions on most of the Cobra kits, and diecasts too.

Thanks, Gary!....ya, and there is almost NOTHING to confidently glue your windscreen to...

42 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thank you again, Chris!, the seats come from A Monogram Lotus Esprit kit with the headrests chopped off, and I spray Duplicolor right from the can!.....I used their clear on this Cobra, and I NEVER polish my bodies.

Ok.. so the same seats again.. cool.  Which Duplicolor clear do you use?  They carry three different Duplicolor clears at my parts store.  I always manage to get crazing when I use Duplicolor's sandable primer and you don't even have to polish.. I'm doing something wrong.

2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Ok.. so the same seats again.. cool.  Which Duplicolor clear do you use?  They carry three different Duplicolor clears at my parts store.  I always manage to get crazing when I use Duplicolor's sandable primer and you don't even have to polish.. I'm doing something wrong.

Hey, Chris!, here is the clearcoat I use, another awesome clear that has Super fine Rainbow flakes in it, and the primer I start with. You cannot use any other Duplicolor paint, or primer until you put down an opaque coverage of the Filler primer first!....it will kraze every time!! Heres how I paint my bodies; I shoot 1 opaque coat( 2-3 light coats ), sand with 2000 grit, 1 more light coat of filler primer, and either shoot one of the other Duplicolor primers, or start laying-down your color. for me, its almost always; 4 filler coats, 4 kolor, and 4 clear coats......sanding with 2000 grit between every coat after the opaque coat. What you get with this system, is a properly scaled-down gloss. You probably wont win any paint finish awards, since judges like STUPIDLY out 0f scale finishes, but all of my builds have won awards.

2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Chris!, here is the clearcoat I use, another awesome clear that has Super fine Rainbow flakes in it, and the primer I start with. You cannot use any other Duplicolor paint, or primer until you put down an opaque coverage of the Filler primer first!....it will kraze every time!! Heres how I paint my bodies; I shoot 1 opaque coat( 2-3 light coats ), sand with 2000 grit, 1 more light coat of filler primer, and either shoot one of the other Duplicolor primers, or start laying-down your color. for me, its almost always; 4 filler coats, 4 kolor, and 4 clear coats......sanding with 2000 grit between every coat after the opaque coat. What you get with this system, is a properly scaled-down gloss. You probably wont win any paint finish awards, since judges like STUPIDLY out 0f scale finishes, but all of my builds have won awards.

Thanks Dann.. I'd have never figured this out without you telling me..  I am going out tomorrow and get some of the clear and Filler Primer!