Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum
Dann Tier

"The Stig Collection" -Cobra 427

Recommended Posts

This is my fully detailed, customized Revell Cobra 427. There is so much that I did to this, so heres a few things; I replaced the hood scoop for a Fujimi one, I made the windscreen frame from aluminum, and SB the mirror Brackets. The side pipes are made from aluminum tubing, and the jack-points are photo-etch. The interior has real black lacquered wood, and the seats are modified Lotus Esprit seats. I put Pirrelli PZero tyres from a Tamiya Ferrari F40 kit, and the wheel centers have real cotter-pins in the spindles.

DSCF6353.JPG

DSCF6354.JPG

DSCF6356.JPG

DSCF6357.JPG

DSCF6358.JPG

DSCF6359.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one with very nice engine detail as well as the dash.  What wheels did you use Dann?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice Dann!  What is your secret to the seats again?  I can't remember, do you spray Duplicolor from the can on the body?  What clear coat?  Just amazing work as always!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SUPERB build Dann, great paint and detailing is top end mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another outstanding build.  I am with you on the windshield frame, one of the biggest distractions on most of the Cobra kits, and diecasts too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PARTSMARTY said:

The car looks great and interior is awesome !!!

Thanks again, Marty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Nice Dann!  What is your secret to the seats again?  I can't remember, do you spray Duplicolor from the can on the body?  What clear coat?  Just amazing work as always!

Thank you again, Chris!, the seats come from A Monogram Lotus Esprit kit with the headrests chopped off, and I spray Duplicolor right from the can!.....I used their clear on this Cobra, and I NEVER polish my bodies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DeeCee said:

SUPERB build Dann, great paint and detailing is top end mate.

Thanks again, Dale!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scalper said:

man that is slick. smooth paint clean work . I like

Thank you, Andre!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gramps46 said:

Another outstanding build.  I am with you on the windshield frame, one of the biggest distractions on most of the Cobra kits, and diecasts too.

Thanks, Gary!....ya, and there is almost NOTHING to confidently glue your windscreen to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, afx said:

Another one with very nice engine detail as well as the dash.  What wheels did you use Dann?

Thanks, JC!, You, and everybody else might cringe, but this is where I got the wheels from......

s-l1000.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Dann Tier said:

Thank you again, Chris!, the seats come from A Monogram Lotus Esprit kit with the headrests chopped off, and I spray Duplicolor right from the can!.....I used their clear on this Cobra, and I NEVER polish my bodies.

Ok.. so the same seats again.. cool.  Which Duplicolor clear do you use?  They carry three different Duplicolor clears at my parts store.  I always manage to get crazing when I use Duplicolor's sandable primer and you don't even have to polish.. I'm doing something wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Ok.. so the same seats again.. cool.  Which Duplicolor clear do you use?  They carry three different Duplicolor clears at my parts store.  I always manage to get crazing when I use Duplicolor's sandable primer and you don't even have to polish.. I'm doing something wrong.

Hey, Chris!, here is the clearcoat I use, another awesome clear that has Super fine Rainbow flakes in it, and the primer I start with. You cannot use any other Duplicolor paint, or primer until you put down an opaque coverage of the Filler primer first!....it will kraze every time!! Heres how I paint my bodies; I shoot 1 opaque coat( 2-3 light coats ), sand with 2000 grit, 1 more light coat of filler primer, and either shoot one of the other Duplicolor primers, or start laying-down your color. for me, its almost always; 4 filler coats, 4 kolor, and 4 clear coats......sanding with 2000 grit between every coat after the opaque coat. What you get with this system, is a properly scaled-down gloss. You probably wont win any paint finish awards, since judges like STUPIDLY out 0f scale finishes, but all of my builds have won awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Do you have the rest of that Toyota kit that you may want to part with?

Sorry, Jim....I woulda gave it to you, since I only needed the wheels, but I binned the rest of it a long time ago....sorry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

Hey, Chris!, here is the clearcoat I use, another awesome clear that has Super fine Rainbow flakes in it, and the primer I start with. You cannot use any other Duplicolor paint, or primer until you put down an opaque coverage of the Filler primer first!....it will kraze every time!! Heres how I paint my bodies; I shoot 1 opaque coat( 2-3 light coats ), sand with 2000 grit, 1 more light coat of filler primer, and either shoot one of the other Duplicolor primers, or start laying-down your color. for me, its almost always; 4 filler coats, 4 kolor, and 4 clear coats......sanding with 2000 grit between every coat after the opaque coat. What you get with this system, is a properly scaled-down gloss. You probably wont win any paint finish awards, since judges like STUPIDLY out 0f scale finishes, but all of my builds have won awards.

Thanks Dann.. I'd have never figured this out without you telling me..  I am going out tomorrow and get some of the clear and Filler Primer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...