Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell  were never going to go away. The US side will continue to trot out the American subjects a d Germany the more exotic stuff.. We tend to lose sight  of the fact that Revell make many kits of other subjects than cars and tricks and that is what keeps them viable as a corporate asset. Unfortunately the likes of AMT, MPC, IMC, were only catering for an American market and also only mainly automotive biased in their subject matter.

1 hour ago, Tom Geiger said:

Bingo!  It was absurd that people thought investors had purchased Revell and weren't going to exercise the assets??   And walk away from a lucrative market?  On what planet?

It is done more often than thought. Companies buy other companies to raid their liquid assets, sell off hard assets and assume bought companies market or even sell off customer DB. Saw it happen during my banking years due diligence reporting....I think it's a sleazy biz practice....but done. For what was paid for Revell...it could have been a plan a bank could back. 

11 hours ago, Dave Van said:

For what was paid for Revell...it could have been a plan a bank could back. 

Hindsight is always 20/20. I am sure that there are some people out there who, had they known how cheap Revell was going to go for in bankruptcy, would have put together a group to buy it. The problem, as I see it, is that ongoing operations would have required a decent amount of capital. New product development isn't cheap either and I am sure the new owners are aware of that fact.

What new kits we get, what old kits get re-issued, and what current kits continue on will all be revealed in the coming months. In the meantime, we need to get busy building what we have!

13 minutes ago, mikemodeler said:

Hindsight is always 20/20. I am sure that there are some people out there who, had they known how cheap Revell was going to go for in bankruptcy, would have put together a group to buy it. The problem, as I see it, is that ongoing operations would have required a decent amount of capital. New product development isn't cheap either and I am sure the new owners are aware of that fact.

What new kits we get, what old kits get re-issued, and what current kits continue on will all be revealed in the coming months. In the meantime, we need to get busy building what we have!

Agreed....it's a big boy's game. Deep pockets were needed even if in the end it went cheap. I know one large kit distributor that said if it was just the total cost in the end (not all the lawyers, court cost etc etc) he could have bid. We'll have  to see....